Chapter 3

Chapter 3

My classes go by quickly, and I still can't seem to get over the conversation Grant and I had last week, so I'm thankful to be going home to an empty apartment. Today is looking pleasant, it's been a week since anything crazy has happened, the sun is shining high in the sky, the humidity is lower than usual, and the birds are anxiously making conversation. As I turn the corner, my phone lights up with a notification from Professor Mason, and my stomach turns with excitement as the email preview reads the words, "We would like to welco-," and I know exactly what that means. As my mind becomes distracted with excitement, my body collides with another person. I look up to see the deep brown eyes, and dusty blonde hair of a guy I wish I would've bumped into sooner.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Excuse me." I put my hands up to push myself back, as his hand gently follows the length of my arm.

"No worries, Miss. The sun must've been shining in those beautiful eyes of yours." He winks at me, and continues on his way without missing a beat.

What the hell was that. Did this boy just flirt with me? Could this day get any better???

Finally, approaching my door I insert my key into our lock, only to find that a key wasn't needed, since it's unlocked. Most would feel worried at the discovery, but with my roommate being Grant this isn't out of the ordinary. I walk  in  to find art supplies thrown everywhere. Grant's half done sculptures clutter the living room, with chipped off clay pieces creating mini hazards across the floor. I kick a few pieces of clay out from under my feet and plop myself onto the couch and pull my laptop from my bag. Going straight to my email, I see that not only have I been accepted to intern with Professor Mason, I've also been accepted by Dr. Valorine. It looks like my day could get better. Now it's just up to me in deciding who I go with.

I take a minute to mull over my options, and head for the bathroom. I've always thought best while in the shower. Throwing my clothes to the side, I take a minute to examine my appearance in the mirror. Strangely, the rings under my eyes have grown, even while having gotten a full night's rest. As I stare at myself, I nearly jump out of my skin as I hear a knock at the bathroom door.

He's home early.

"What! Grant?" My heart thumps in my chest as I try to metally calm myself down.

"Yeah, do you want a peanut butter and jelly?"

"Uhhh, sure. You're home early?"

"Yeah, my last class got cancelled."

He responds and leaves me no time to react as I hear his footsteps fade into the kitchen. I turn back to look at myself, only to see a blurred reflection in the now fogged up mirror.

As the cold water hits my back, it's my cue to get out. I wrap the towel around my body as my wet hair creates little puddles on the floor. As the water mixes with the little bits of clay a weird feeling of nostalgia washes over me. I throw my towel onto the ground and soak up the muddy splotches, knowing very well Grant hates a wet floor. Ironic, being that he leaves a mess wherever he goes.

As my jammies awkwardly stick to my still moist body, I call out into the kitchen, "So where's that sandwich, huh?" I walk out to an empty counter, annoyed being that the expectation of a sandwich made me hungry. "So much for that sandwich I guess." I roll my eyes to see Grant sitting on the couch working on a new project of his. It must be nice being an Art Major.

The shower helped me clear my mind and my decision on which internship to accept had been made. Based on the circumstances, I think I'd feel safer interning in a place I knew well; my campus. I immediately emailed Professor Mason back, accepting his invitation, and  was surprised to get a quick response. The message reads:

Miss Castillo
Welcome to the team. We are looking forward to having you be part of our research team. Please join us tomorrow evening to discuss the specifics and expectations of the program.

Dr. A. Mason
Director of Psychology Department

My nerves buzz with excitement as I jump up and down, very much aware that I must look crazy.

"You good there?" Grant looks at me, eyebrows raised, and very judgmental.

Brushing off the look, I grab him by the shoulders and shake his body, "I just got accepted into my internship!"

His look fades, and he is now mirroring my excitement. He drops his tools and joins in in my jumping. "Nice! When do we start?"

"Tomorrow!"

I stop my antics and sprawl out onto the couch panting from the adrenaline. Looking up at our popcorn ceiling, my head tilts as I catch a much whiter area compared to the rest. "Did you get paint on the ceiling again?" I jokingly poke at Grant and stare above.

"What? No." His demeanor immediately changes, casting a shadow on my excitement.

I sit up, yet say nothing, as I watch him scurry off into his room, shutting the door behind him. He's not usually so defensive, being that it was a joke, but something was definitely off there. I look over at his abandoned workspace, and examine his tools. They're dirty, as they usually are, instead of his customary clay mess, his surface is cluttered with bits of mud. He hates mud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a minute, but we are finally back with Chapter 3!

Who's the handsome boy? Maybe he'll be back for Chapter 4 ;)

Comment and vote if you liked it!

Till' Next Time,
Lexi