Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"What the hell am I in for?" I mumbled to myself as I stood facing the pawn shop, feeling my stomach tighten, knowing deep down that something was waiting for me inside.

I paused for a moment, debating turning around, and never discovering what lay behind those doors, but instead I pried my boots from the cement sidewalk and made my way up the entrance. I looked down at my feet as I stood over a mat that read, Welcome, but my mind said to run. Despite my instincts, I swing open the doors, and  am greeted by welcome bells and musty air that fill my nostrils.

"Welcome to New Again's, let me know if you need help with anything." A man calls out from behind the display cases in a monotone voice. His face still buried in his newspaper, and his feet are propped up on the glass counters. He does not once look up to actually acknowledge my existence, but that's not anything new.

I shoot over a half hearted smile, knowing very well the only thing who will see it are the security cameras, and start making my way through the rusted rows of aged and worn novelties. Nothing catches my eye, except for the particles of dust stirred up from my presence, causing me to blink more than usual. I rub my eyes, finishing the row, and making my way down the next, until I reach the end. I stand, pretending to occupy myself with some mediocre artwork on the wall, in reality, I'm distracting myself by fidgeting with the necklace that resides in my pocket. Clearing my throat I notice the clerk raise his gaze and stare at me from the corner of my eye. I forget that from an outsider's perspective I must look sketchy as hell. I muster up the courage to make my way towards the display case, as I reluctantly retrieve the necklace from my pocket, letting the chain dangle freely, as it gently taps against my thigh with each step I take.

"Hi, um." I clear my throat. "I was just wondering if you had anything like this in your shop, or even if you knew anything more about it." I set the necklace atop the timeworn glass, peering down as the tossed aside wedding rings displayed in the case below.

His calloused and stained hands gingerly plucks the necklace off the countertop, bringing it close to his eye, as he takes the readers that sit on his balding head and rest them on his porous and oily nose.

He lets out a heavy breath, pulling the necklace away from his face and setting it back down. "Nope, that there's a one of a kind." He leaves it at that before leaning back into his chair, resisting the urge to prop his feet up as they were before.

"May I ask how you know it's one of a kind?" I quickly grab the necklace back, not wanting anyone else to see, despite us being the only two in the store.

He raises his eyes, causing four deep wrinkles to form across the width of his forehead. He lets out another raspy sigh and struggles to stand up with ease. He makes his way across the length of the cases, and I follow in pursuit.

"These here, they're all by the same artist, the same guy you got that necklace from." He plops back down, in another conveniently placed chair.

I lean over the case, shocked, but unaware as to why, as I gape at four necklaces that shine back at me, all unique in their own way, yet still resembling each other.

"How'd you come to get four of them if they're so unique?" They look so familiar, but my mind can't seem to place why.

"We got them in last week, from a guy saying the memories from them were too much." He grunts. "Total weirdo if you ask me."

"Could I please see them? Possibly try them on?"

I can tell he is annoyed by my request that requires him to move from his seat, but he obliges, finding the key, and placing the four necklaces in front of me.