Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I woke up the next morning, with the thought of the mystery women still on my mind. She looked at me like we knew each other, but my mind couldn't recall her at all. To me, she just didn't exist. I make my way to the kitchen still confused but distracted by my upcoming meet up with Ryan, as I notice Grant's boots are still missing. Yesterday morning they were there and when I got home they were gone, but they are still gone, Grant never having come home last night, being that the safety latch is still securely put. I wonder where he got off to last night? I was planning to raid his room yesterday, but with everything that happened I ended up passing out on the couch after my strange encounter with the nameless girl. Seriously, who was she?

As I start the coffee pot, the light coming from the window reflects off the metal ring, causing me to audibly gasp as I grab for my neck, completely forgetting that the necklace still dangles around it. My hands go clammy, and I desperately try to take it off, once again failing and instead yanking it off and hearing the clasp break from the pressure. I hold it in my palm, watching as the small rubies cast hues of red on my fingers from the light's reflection, and my stomach drops. I shove the broken chain into my pocket, thankful Grant never came home to see the jewelry showcased on my chest. I'm startled by a rattling at the door, thinking it's Grant, only to hear the rattling continue on neighboring handles and know that the kids down the hall are playing tricks on the residents once again. I sigh in relief and make my way to the bathroom, noticing the small burn the chain has left around my neck from being yanked off. I follow the burn with my finger tips, that send chills down my spine, as the scrambled yells of a young girl overtake my eardrums as my vision becomes blurry. My breathing quickens, and my hands go up to my neck, attempting to pry the imaginary hands that hold its drip tight around it, before I drop to the floor, coughing and desperate for air. The girl in my mind was one I'd never seen before, yet she fit the bill for the Facelift Killer, but there was no evidence of her being one of his victims. As I slowly begin to regain my senses, I glance at my watch noticing the time,

12:53PM.

Shit. I'm late!

Not having time to shower, I grab my bag and head out the door. Making sure to lock it behind me so I don't get any unexpected visitors while I'm away. The pawn shop is a little far, if I would've left earlier I could've made it by foot, but being late I don't have the luxury to see the sights. Instead, I climb into a cab that smells of stale tobacco and sweat. I pinch my nose, and breathe through my mouth while I ride along silently with the balding cab driver, who glances at me through his rear view mirror one too many times.

"Have I driven ya 'round before?" The cab driver tilts his head back, as he asks his question.

My day dreaming is broken, and I look at him through the mirror and then look back out the window. "No, don't think so."

"You do look awfully familiar. Ya sure?" He takes one hand off the wheel, tapping his forehead as if recalling a memory.

I shake my head gently, continuing to look at the window and glazing at my watch, 1:02PM. "Nope. Pretty positive." I take out my phone and shoot Ryan a text, 'Sorry, running late. Be there soon.'

"No, you were here yesterday. I dropped ya off from where I just picked you up." He bobs his head like he just discovered the ultimate secret. "Uh, Celine, right?" He waves his finger in the air, waiting for my confirmation.

Celine? Is he talking about that girl from last night? I glance back at him, noticing a small camera situated on the dashboard. "Do you have access to the footage on your camera, there?" I lean forward, pointing to the camera.

"Nope, but the company does, but for real, you her aren't ya?" He grins, proud of himself for his keen, but incorrect memory.

"Sorry... Phil." I notice his name tag, and continue on. "My name isn't Celine, so you got the wrong girl." I lean back in my seat as my phone chimes.

"She must be having a good time then." He laughs to himself. "If ya know what I mean." Laughing louder to himself he turns into the parking lot, stopping the meter.

I open up my messages to see one from Ryan, 'Sorry, Can't make it. Something came up. Next time?' Ugh, sure, next time.  I text him back, "No worries."

"Crap."

"You ok back there?" He stops laughing to look back at me.

"Yeah, I just drove out here for no reason, cause the person meeting me cancelled." I roll my eyes, annoyed that I skipped classes for this, and grab for my money from my bag.

"Damn, that sucks." He takes a second, looking around in contemplation. "I could drive ya back. No extra charge?" He's genuinely concerned, which is a nice change from the conversations I've been having lately.

"No thanks, but thanks. I'll stay." I hand him over his money, leaving a hefty tip. "Keep the change." Kindness can take you a long way, thanks Phil. I close the door behind me, facing the LED lights of the pawn shop as I hear the tires of the cab screech away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's awaiting for Melody in the pawnshops?

Answers or just more questions?

Comment and vote if you liked it!

Till' Next Time,
Lexi