XLIV

"Isaac," I groaned, "I really don't understand why we have to do this." I pressed my finger tips to forehead, massaging my brow bone as I walked alongside Reid down the street. He stared at me curiously, bringing his hand up to my shoulder and pulling me into him. I rolled my eyes in his direction, cracking a small smile. We were on our way to grab coffee. It had been a week since I got fired and while I was still frustrated I was slowly starting to just accept it.

I called Prentiss not long after I returned to the office and handed in my resignation. I accepted her offer, explaining to her that despite the sadness, Reid had given his blessing. She was excited, which was unsurprising, and almost immediately started rambling. We talked for hours. Reid laid next to me on the couch reading his book, looking up and smiling every so often. I could tell, despite everything, he was happy for me, which made me happy.

She explained the job to me in full detail. It was temporary gig, something she failed to tell me initially, but would eventually lead into more of a permanent position once I got the experience. According to her it was more of probation period than anything. Along with that, she explained that most of the agents worked as contractors, picking and choosing which jobs they wanted to do, which honestly seemed pretty cool. The idea of eventually working on my own terms was definitely appealing, even though I knew the jobs themselves were obviously long.

We discussed a couple of other details, like flights and housing and by the end of the conversation my flight to London was booked and ready to go. My whole body shook with anticipation. Before this moment everything kind of seemed like a dream, like at some point I'd wake up in bed and somehow be back to my first day at the bureau.

"Because," Issac sighed, "mom and dad have been hounding me to get you to bring your stupid boyfriend over before you leave."

After my conversation with Prentiss I called Issac and told him everything. Obviously he was surprised, wondering why I hadn't told him sooner. I blamed it on being busy and changed the subject, asking how he was. We talked for a while, discussing the details of the job, along with all the other stuff that had happened. Eventually, the topic of Reid came up and I told him we were dating. Almost immediately he told mom and dad who since then had been bombarding me with texts and calls, trying to get me to bring him over.

"Spencer's too shy to meet them, right Spencer?" I raised my brow in his direction, smirking slightly.

He rolled his eyes and leaned into the phone. "I'd love to meet them."

I narrowed my eyes and shook my head. "Oh no," I made a static-y sound with my mouth, pulling the phone away. "Issac, I'm going through a tunnel."

"Fuck off," he retorted, "no you're not."

"I'm gonna have to call you back," I held in a giggle and hung up my phone. I threw it in my back pocket and wrapped my arm around the small of Reid's back, nuzzling my head against his collarbone.

"That wasn't very nice," he chuckled.

"I'm not very nice." I retorted.

He rolled his eyes. "Do you really not want me to meet your family?"

"I do," I responded, a form smirking across my lips, "I just like bothering him."

He laughed.

"We could see them tonight?" I offered. "My flight doesn't leave until late tomorrow so we could go for dinner and then drive home afterwards to pack?"

"I'd like that." He rubbed my shoulder.

"Cool, I'll call my dad when we get back."

We got our coffees, along with a quick breakfast and sat by the window. We chatted casually, eating and drinking as we enjoyed each other's company. After we finished we went back home, holding hands as we walked back down the street and into my apartment. Once we settled in I called my dad, telling him we'd be over for dinner. He practically screamed into the phone, yelling to tell my mother. I couldn't help but laugh at their excitement, turning to Reid who smiled in response as soon as he heard them yelling too.