XXIX

We spent almost two hours back there, throwing around ideas and different ways of presenting my side. I felt like a professional sugarcoater, easily rearranging words to make them sound less harsh, or the situation sound more innocent than it really was. I'd always been doing that as a kid, which often led to hardly ever getting into serious trouble.

I walked out with a notebook almost half filled and being encouraged to write more. "Thank you so much," I turned back to John as I walked out the door. "Really."

He grinned. "Tell your mother I say hello, alright?" I nodded. "Good luck, Cassie."

"Thank you."

I found Lizzie sitting outside holding two ice-cream cones and alternating by licking one then the other, repeating the cycle in an attempt to keep them both from melting. Half of the treat was on her hands and around her mouth. She stopped to look at me brightly. "Hey!" she grinned, trying to wave. She glanced guiltily at the cones in her hands and offered an apologetic smile.

I hung my head in laughter. "I've really missed you, you know that?" I sat down next to her and watched her attempt to finish the frozen treat as fast as she could, getting even more on her face as a result. "You're amazing," I laughed.

She nodded, "You bet!"

I looked pointedly at the ice-cream she was currently finishing, "So you didn't get me any I see. What a great friend."

"Hey!" she yelped. "You didn't say you wanted any," she pouted.

"Well isn't that just assumed?" I countered. She reached over and punched me. "Ew!" I squeaked, jumping back. "You got ice-cream all over my shirt!"

"Serves you right!" she turned up her nose, grinning.

"Why you—!" I jumped up and tackled her into the grass. We tumbled around, losing the cones somewhere and getting grass stains all over our clothes. I gasped for air, finally letting up with a grin stuck on my face. I laid on my back, staring at the sky. I hadn't felt so carefree or happy in too long.

"Jerk," I heard Lizzie mutter after a few moments of collecting herself.

"Hey!" I cried, grinning at her.

"Well you made me drop my ice-cream!" she complained, pointing to the cones scattered around behind us.

"You didn't even have any ice-cream left," I rolled my eyes. She started giggling and I couldn't help myself, starting to giggle again before both of us ended up in a laughing fit.

"You're insane," I managed to say.

"You too," she retorted.

We stayed on the lawn for a few more minutes before I got up and dusted myself off, picking up and disposing of the cones and coming back for the notebook. I gripped Lizzie's hand and yanked her up. "Ready?" She nodded and we made our way to the car. As she started it and we began to back out, I saw John sitting in the doorway. He lifted a hand to wave and I waved back, holding the notebook tighter to my chest. "Now..." I breathed, quiet enough so that Lizzie couldn't hear. "Business." I sighed.