Deadly Cellmates

It was the August before George turned twelve, he and Ruby were separated into different dorms. Both dorms were identical and exactly the same as the lower school dorm they had shared during their formative years except now the boys were together in a threadbare bunk room located in the East wing and the girls in the West. George was no longer small, he had shot up by quite a few feet and despite his less than adequate diet at Slaven he was filling out nicely.

    Although they were now separated by a large corridor Ruby would often use her gift to make sure none of the teachers were going to come up to the fifth floor. She would then sneak across the landing to the boys dorm. Sometimes they would talk here rather than up in the library. On a few occasions a couple of the less annoying girls would accompany Ruby. Although she preferred to be alone with George, Ruby would allow two girls to join her, their names were Sally and Emma. Ruby definitely would not have classed the girls as friends. They just got along well with the boys George shared a bunk with called Tom and Edward so were a perfect distraction for them. This meant that Ruby got more of George's attention. The group would often talk, or play cards from an old deck Ruby and George had found on a secret mission to the second floor of the castle. The card games were pretty pointless as Ruby could tell what hands they all had but it gave them some relief from the stifling life they led at the castle.

    Three weeks into the new term the group had gathered in the boys dorm as usual when Ruby sensed that Miss Grimm was about to come up to the fifth floor. The eleven year old girl hustled the children into position as the wicked woman furiously opened the dormitory door. Grimm was instantly disappointed as George Adamson was nowhere to be seen. Ruby and the others huddled together and followed her lead as she guided them in a merry dance around the dormitory to stay on the right hand side of the evil witch. Sally stifled a giggle and the old woman spun around but Ruby was far too quick, and she manoeuvred the group immediately out of the way.

    After five minutes of unsuccessful searching Miss Grimm was about to give up when Ruby was shook by a future vision. This one did not wait to be invited in. Instead it barged down the doors and marched across the threshold. It was a premonition that could not be ignored. So strong it almost knocked the small thin eleven year old girl off her feet.

    Ruby looked at George and shook her head, she hated to do this but she had no choice. Ruby mouthed the words, "Sorry."

    George stopped moving and gave her a look of confusion, a look which transformed instantly into shock as she pushed him hard with both hands. The panicked boy tumbled backwards, his arms windmilling through the air as he landed on the floor in front of the crusty old bag. Grimm's good eye swivelled around to pinpoint him instantly. Pure satisfaction spread across her puckered old face. The stunned boy looked towards the dormitory door. Ruby was pushing the others through, Tom was trying to force his way back and Sally was crying. George caught Ruby's eye and she gave him a weak smile then mouthed the words. "Trust me."

    "George you horrible creature, I've got a cell in the dungeon with your name on it." Shrieked Grimm with satisfaction.

She grabbed the boy by one of his pointy ears and hoisted him up from the floor.

    "Bank!" She shouted. "Get here now I have something for you."

    Tom, Edward, Ruby, Emma and Sally, managed to get away and hide behind the door of the girls dorm. They watched through a crack as George was lifted off the ground and carried downstairs by the human tank. Sally was still crying and Tom was comforting her.

    "Ruby," Edward turned to look at the pale girl, the shock of what had happened still registering in his confused brain. "What did you do that for?"