Bring The Ring

The morning bell rang at six am and George battled with his eyelids to get them open. When he eventually succeeded it felt as though someone had thrown grit in his eyes. George pulled on his clothes yawning uncontrollably and joined Ruby at the dining table for breakfast. It took all of the young boys strength to stay awake and keep his face out of his grey boiled porridge. George filled Ruby in on what had happened with Mr McClary as she fixed him with a murderous glare. The small girl was not impressed that he had gone without her to see the caretaker and George realised he would be in her bad books for a quite a while.

He explained the plan to get into Miss Grimm's room he and Mr McClary had devised the night before. At twelve o'clock that day Miss Grimm was due to have a meeting with Mr McClary. The caretaker was showing her the dam security system he had built in the woods. He had built a diversion for the river that ran through Slaven's grounds. When the school was threatened with an inspection he could now lift the dam that he had built and flood the road leading to Slaven. The inspectors would be prevented from coming onto the school grounds. Miss Grimm could continue to run the school in the way she wanted and the children would continue to be mistreated.

Mr McClary had explained that he would keep Miss Grimm out in the woods for as long as possible while the children searched her room. Ruby would be able to use her premonitions to make sure no one was around but George had kept this part of the plan out when he had spoken to Mr McClary. Everything was set, George just needed Ruby to agree to help him. He looked at her pleadingly.

"It looks as though the men have got it all worked out," Said Ruby after a pause, a certain amount of smugness at the corners of her mouth. "the elf and the wolf save the day."

George was well aware that he was going to have to grovel for quite a long time to get Ruby to help him. He had never seen her quite so annoyed before.

"No, the boys need some female intuition," George said pleadingly, "and you are just the person for the job! Will you help? I totally understand if you don't want to, it is an extremely dangerous situation."

George's last comment was aimed just right, he knew she wouldn't be able to say no to him now. He had basically called her chicken if she did.

The small girl turned red with anger, it coloured her marble white skin in an Instant tinting even the tips of her ears.

"Oh so I'm good enough to ask when you NEED me! Otherwise you can just run around making plans that involve me without asking and expect me to follow you around, what do you think I am? some brainless loyal puppy!"

Ruby folded her arms across her chest and stuck out her chin. It was all the wayward boy could do to keep his face straight but if he laughed at her now she would be mad for even longer, maybe even forever so he kept it together and put his arm around her.

"Please don't be mad Ruby I need you." He told the porcelain girl.

Ruby's icy exterior melted. "Ok," She finally relented. "but next time you make an idiotic plan that will probably get us either maimed or killed I want to be in on the planning."

"It's a deal," George conceded. "and again, I'm sorry I didn't come to get you."

The morning dragged as the children counted down until twelve o'clock. Finally the lunch bell sounded and they nervously walked to the canteen. The magical orphans picked up their trays, received their grey sludge from the cook then sat down at the table. George pushed some grey meat, which was only identifiable as meat because it had a bone sticking out of it, around his plate. He was way too nervous to be hungry. Ruby was doing the same thing with hers. They both looked up as they saw Miss Grimm walk down the hallway with the uncomfortable Mr McClary in tow. He nodded his grizzly head in George's direction as he passed by.