Hold Your Breath

The two children stopped outside the classroom door. They stuffed their nostrils with the stolen cotton wool, packing as much of the soft white fluff as they could into each cavity. They turned to look at each other. George winked at Ruby and she shook her head, then they pushed open the door. All of the other children were seated and as George and Ruby came into the classroom they looked up at the pair in shock.

    "Mr Adamson, Miss Fortuna, nice of you to grace us with your presence." Said the giant teacher his back to the pair as he continued writing on the blackboard.

    "You're welcome Mr Moss." George answered sarcastically, happily beaming from ear to ear with his megawatt grin.

    The other children's eyes grew even bigger and rounder, this time Mr Moss' chalk halted on the blackboard.

    "Do you think that you are funny Mr Adamson?" There was malice in the gangly teachers voice as he spoke.

    "No sir not at all " Continued George who knew exactly what he needed to do, and continued to beam with satisfaction.

    Slowly Mr Moss turned around, he looked down at the small boy and girl. The other classmates all shrunk in their seats, some tried to cover their noses with their sleeves without being obvious.

    The young boy was grinning. He was all big white shiny teeth and blonde shiny hair. How dare he thought the Gangly teacher as he stared at George through narrowed eyes. The strange Ruby girl looked impassive as she always did. Mr Moss was unsure of her, something about her made him uneasy she was just so odd.

    "Can I ask where you two have been when you should have been here in my lesson?" The teacher almost whispered.

    "Yes." Answered George, another hint of sarcasm in his voice as he continued to beam back at Mr Moss.

    Mr Moss looked confused for a moment. "What did you say Adamson?"

    "Yes," George answered again. "you CAN ask where we've been when we should have been in class." 

    Ruby burst into a fit of hysterics while the other children in the classroom almost gasped with shock, how could anyone dare to be so rude to Mr Moss? This really was the most exciting thing they had EVER seen happen in history class. Sally gritted her teeth at the front of the classroom. This was the second time in a week that Ruby had managed to get George into trouble. It wouldn't be long before George was either badly harmed or sent away somewhere even worse than here. She had to do something to help.

    Mr Moss raised an eyebrow, he turned his back to George and Ruby walking back to his desk with purpose. The tall gangly teacher picked up his flask and took a huge gulp of stew. Ruby clenched her fists and gritted her teeth. George stayed exactly as he was massive grin in place. The freakishly large teacher finished the lot in one swallow and banged the metal flask down hard upon the solid mahogany surface. Every child in the classroom winced in unison, except George, George continued to beam. With two strides of his long spindly legs Mr Moss arrived at the back of the classroom.

    The teacher looked like a gigantic praying mantis as he bent his long limbs and moved his face inches from the boys'. George was still grinning.

    "How dare you be so rude," He shouted in George's face. George's smile disappeared, he turned pale, his hand shot to his mouth, he pushed his way out of the classroom and ran directly to the bathroom.

    The ghastly teacher turned to Ruby. "and how dare you laugh, you strange silly girl."

    Ruby followed her best friend closely out of the door, her hand was also pressed firmly against her mouth. Mr Moss smiled to himself then made his way to the front of the classroom. Sally shook with anger as she watched Ruby's shadow retreat down the hallway.