The Call and a Friend

As I stirred in my sleep, my phone rang loudly for my early morning ears. I grunt as I pick up my phone, who on earth would call me at what? 4 a.m in the morning. Ugh. I touched the answer button without checking who the caller is. "yoboseyo?" the person at the end of the line shout at me, it was a girl's voice. Rude. "yah! Nega yah neoui chingu." What chingu...? "which one, I have many friends." "the only chingu whose considerate enough to offer you a high paying job." The girl stated proudly. I sigh, still racking my mind. Wait... 'chingu...job...?' struck in realization. "yah nae chingu, Kim HaeRa!" I almost exclaimed. HaeRa chuckled, "seriously your morning self is very different from your working state." I smiled cheekily. "let me rephrase that 'early morning'." I corrected her. "forget about that, what about the job?" I could hear HaeRa clicked her tongue, "when it is about a job you instantly woke up huh?" she asked sarcastically.

"But you should be excited, cause you're going to be, drumroll... an actress!" I widen my eyes, an actress? Me? HaeRa continued, "yep. Not just any actress but a main one too." I widen my eyes even more. I don't even have any acting experience before! What was HaeRa thinking? "HaeRa yah, I thank you for giving me this opportunity. But I can't, I don't even have any acting experience and I get a female lead. Thank you but it's a no." I could hear she sigh, "don't worry, it's not like acting, acting. Its more like gesture and you know. But overall it an easy job, you know easy money. C'mon it's not easy for just anyone to get this job." I sigh after mulling over what HaeRa just said, that easy money gets me. Don't blame me for being money-hungry, I'm money-hungry but not too much. "arraseo, I'll take the job." HaeRa continued as if she knew that I would take this job. "let's meet up tomorrow and discuss your character and all the details. Arraseyo?" I nod to no one and excitedly answered her, "De Unnie!" I could hear her chuckled. "I will text you the time and place okay?" and again I answered her excitedly, "De unnie!"

Ohh... I just realized that HaeRa is outside the country.... Oh well, she's quite the superwoman, she'll manage.

Talking about HaeRa, she's actually someone I met through one of my part-time job as a retail department worker. She used to get mad at because she often daydreams and messed up her work and she also often stayed back until late at night to eavesdrop on the filming set that often comes to the mall where the store is to film something. She once told me that the reason she works there was exactly for that reason. Somehow a lot of filming company likes to film at that mall and that's what HaeRa found out and she works hard so that she can get in the mall without being like a suspicious customer who went there every single day without buying anything by being a worker.

Well because of that too, she became a screenwriter. A successful one too. I think after a few months she works there, she went to the University of Southern California or USC for short majoring in what else screenwriting for 2 years I think. After that, she got accepted to work at Lionsgate Films and then after a year she quit her job there and went back to Korea. I told her that she's crazy leaving a good job behind but she said that though she got a good job and a good salary, the script that she was asked to wrote was not what she wants, not that kind of genre that got her into screenwriting.

So after she went back to Korea, a lot of filming company tried to recruit her, well, of course, she chose the less known company so that she can move easily and not be too controlled over. She was afraid that if she chose the more known big company, it's the Lionsgate Films tragedy all over again. But well she made a name for herself and things eventually work out for her. She has been a screenwriter for a lot of K-drama, some of them are quite famous.

After all the company she works for that was not that well known become a big one and she's the second-highest shareholder in that company after the CEO. I'm actually happy for her, she got to achieve her dreams because of her own hard work, with her own blood, sweat, and tears. But will I become like her? Will I achieve my dream? What is it that I really want to pursue in my life? Is what I'm studying right now right?