The Duke

I've changed the step sisters to step brothers.

The coach starts to shrink into a pumpkin as it slows down. Coming to a complete stop, I scramble out before it turns back into a pumpkin. My suit has turned back into my tattered clothes, the piece of mask still in my hand. Then the horses turn back to mice, and the coatman back to Harry.

Picking up my cat, Harry, I spin him around. "Oh Harry! It was wonderful!"

"Eyes as green as leaves in the spring. Voice as smooth as music." I pat him as I relive my first encounter with my mate. I walk back to the house, telling Harry all about my mate. I glide up the stairs to my room and sit on the window sill, watching the crescent moon in the sky.

The mask glows in the moonlight. "Tomorrow I will go to you, my mate." Getting off the sill, I go to my bed. That night, I dream of my gorgeous mate.

I wake to water thrown on me. I shoot up into a sitting position and see my father standing over me with a bucket in hand. His face shows the only emotion I've ever seen him give me after mommy died, anger.

"Clean the whole house! The Duke is coming!" I nod quickly, before running to the closet and dressing in my cleaning clothes. I run down the stairs and get started on cleaning. I clean the whole house as Mayian and Kristan scream and bounce around the house, getting ready for the Duke.

I listen to their conversations. The prince has found his mate it seems, but doesn't know what he looks like, for he ran from him before he could be marked. Listening to them, I realise that the prince is my mate. Excitement fills me. The prince is my mate! I thought my mate was just one of the nobles made to attend but it seems he is actually the prince and not just a noble.

I hum as I clean. My humming is interrupted by footsteps. Looking up, I see my stepmother walking down the staircase.

"Raphael! Go to your room!" She orders. I nod before picking my cleaning supplies up and running to my room, happy that I don't have to clean anymore.

As I sit on my bed, I hear the snick of my door being locked. I jump up and grab the handle to shake it. Someone locked the door. I'm too weak to break down the door, the door is too heavy for my small frame.

I stumble back to my bed, tears pouring down my cheeks. They are keeping me from my mate! I'll forever be alone! My sniffles fill the room.

"Child, why are you crying?" I hear the voice of my fairy godmother.

"Because they locked the door! I'll never get out of here." I cry into my blanket.

"Nonsense, child!" She goes over towards the door. Swirling her wand the door opens up.

I jump up, running ove to her, I hug her. "Thank you!" I say kissing her cheek.

I run over grabbing half of my mask and put it in my pocket and run down the stairs. I swipe at my tears as I get to the main staircase. There, at the entrance, is the Duke with a maroon vest and gold tie. The colours of the royal family.

"Are there any other boys in the house?" The Duke asks.

My father answers. "Only a kitchen wench. But he can't possible be the prince's mate."

"The proclamation said all parties of the house are to try on the broken mask." He turns to me. "You boy, try on the mask."

I walk down the stairs. As I get to the bottom the Duke walks over to me, but my stepmother trips him.

The mask falls from his hand, onto the ground, shattering. "Oh! No! I'm dead!" The Duke cries as he drops to his knees in distress.

"Will this help?" I ask, pulling out the other half. He looks up in shock and so does the 'family.'

"You're the mate! Oh, the prince will be so excited!" The Duke grabs my hand, pulling me out the door away from the evil family to my new life. My heart is beating so fast. 

***