Chapter 2: The Big Uneasy

5:24PM [You're right about everything Mr. Bajaj, I know that. I get it that you're upset with me, but believe me I'm not doing this on purpose. I'm trying to move on. I really did think after succeeding in my mission, I will be able to move on, but clearly that didn't work – but I have started to heal. Please let me go back and do this one last thing. If this doesn't work, I promise, I will do as you say. Also, I am sorry, I really am.]

Prerna stared at the text message she had just sent out to her husband Mr. Bajaj. He was upset with her, and she hated disappointing him. He was the rock that held onto her during the deepest tides of her life. He was right too, after all she had promised him that the day she had taught Anurag his lesson, the day she has avenged Sneha's demise, she would be back, she would be happy, and she would be at peace – Mr. Bajaj had believed her unquestionably and extended all possible support she needed. In return all he expected was that she would keep he promise; that she would give happiness a chance. It was she who was not being able to hold on to her part of the deal.

She had brought Anurag down to his knees, the mother in her was supposed to be at peace, much like Sneha, but she wasn't. Prerna was still tormented, she still felt like she had unfinished business back in India – but how was that possible? How much more could she break that man, Anurag? She knew that Basu Industries was crumpling; they were running in severe losses, shareholders were trying to clean their hands by selling of their shares at below market-price; the company was close to being bankrupt, and amidst all this Anurag Basu was missing in action – why? All because he was upset, he was devastated just because couldn't get his daughter that silly mall?

The more Prerna found out about Anurag's actions, the more conflicted she became. One part of her, really wanted to believe that such was his love for the apple of his eye Diya, that disappointing her had broken him down to the point of giving up on life all most. Just because he couldn't fulfil his dream for Diya, he was this shattered, it showed how deeply he loved his daughter and while it seemed legit, this infuriated Prerna more. She hated herself but deep down she kept asking herself, how could Anurag love Diya so much, and care so less about Sneha. Maybe he hated Prerna, and loved Komolika, but Sneha and Diya were the same, both were his daughters, and if he was capable of loving one so much, what did Sneha do to deserve his hate? But there was another part, a more dominant part of her brain that said, Anurag's actions made no sense. If he really loved Diya and was devastated because she put a stop on the mall plan, he'd fight back, he'd at least try and if not the mall, he'd not let the rest of his business crumple, if not for himself at least for the sake of the same daughter.

As days were passing by, Prerna started growing suspicious, from her team of managers and senior executives in the board of Basu Industries, she was getting to know that Anurag's involvement had reduced to nearly zero in the ways of working of the companies. Her business mind told her to sell her 51% shares will there is still time and plug out, but something deep inside her told her something was amiss. Despite all the oddballs life threw at them, Prerna knew she completely knew Anurag's twisted psyche by now – of all the ways she'd have expected to respond, this was not one. Therefore, before pulling the plug out of Basu Industries and moving on, Prerna had decided to satiate her curiosity by going back one more time to India to check what was going on – if that uneasy feeling that was growing in the pit of her stomach actually had a root or not.

Prerna knew that if she said the truth, Mr. Bajaj by no means was going to let her go back to India, she knew he wouldn't ever say it out loud, but he was insecure of Anurag still, and would never let her be around him if he could help it. Prerna didn't see the point to this insecurity, but she never tried clearing the air with him either – she felt if she tried securing Mr. Bajaj's thoughts on their relationship, she would lead him to build expectations about the future of their relationship and if there was one thing Prerna knew, she didn't want that. This relationship was nothing more than mutual care and coexistence and she had no plans of giving any other ideas about it to Mr. Bajaj. Hence she had come up with a different excuse; for the past few weeks she was trying to convince Mr. Bajaj that she needed to go back to India for two things, first to break the joint partnership with Basu Industries and sell out its shares (Mr. Bajaj was insistent that didn't require Prerna to travel, he'd get it done) and second, to buy the plot where the orphanage once stood, where Komolika had taken Sneha, where the vicious fire claimed her life.

Prerna wanted to buy the plot and restore the building and restart the orphanage in memory of Sneha – to call this wish just an excuse was not totally true, Prerna really wanted to do it too, but she could have waited a couple of years for the dust to settle in before doing it. But she had to play this card to go back to India now, to satiate her own self – she wanted to go back and prove herself wrong, she wanted to show herself that her first thought on Anurag was only correct, that nothing was amiss. She wanted to reprimand herself for giving Anurag even the benefit of doubt, hence her going to India was necessary – and with a reason that encompassed Sneha, she knew Mr. Bajaj would eventually say yes.

As she sat by her phone awaiting her verdict, the light of the phone flashed as it beeped to notify an incoming text message. Prerna quickly picked up her phone and read it and flashed her best smile.

5:47PM [You know I just want to see you happy Prerna. Although I don't think this is the way, but if you must insist on going and setting up the orphanage on your personal watch, I won't stop you. Just know, I'm always there for you.]