Chapter 5: Destiny's Children

Anurag was sitting on the couch and reading a book, but he wasn't really concentrating, it was his way of keeping himself busy so that he didn't worry too much. It had been a couple of months now that he had met his angel Jiya, and it hardly took the little girl anytime to sweep into his life and make room for her-self. Although initially Anurag would make special efforts to go to the park to meet her, eventually she found her way to his home too. She would come over when her 'maasi' was working late to hang-out with her friend Anurag, sometimes he even helped her with her school projects! Only the other day the little minion came in to ask for help in making her science project and in an hours' time she was sitting on the couch munching potato wafers while Anurag struggled with art supplies. Secretly Anurag enjoyed this, Jiya's authority over him, it was like she has some unknown birth right on him, she could order him around and he was only too happy to oblige.

Over time Anurag came to know that Jiya was an orphan raised by a nurse who had found her abandoned by her parents, she didn't know that of course, Anurag had interacted with Jiya's 'maasi' a couple of times to know that – this information made him more attached to Jiya; even though he never accepted it, but Jiya was slowly but steadily filling up the hollow inside Anurag that was formed after he got to know about Sneha's demise. Her little similarities with Prerna, her endearing innocence, her nonstop chatter and her caring nature – everything worked towards drawing out Anurag's paternal instincts towards her – his little Jiya.

But it had been four days now, Jiya was not showing up at his doorstep, or calling from her 'maasi's' phone asking him to meet her, was she okay Anurag wondered worried. He was debating whether to call her 'maasi' and find out, but he didn't want to be overbearing. Jiya was probably busy with exams or something, he tried to pacify himself, but as days passed anxiety was getting the better of him. That day he was debating whether to run down to her house and check on her when the doorbell rang – Anurag sprang up to get the door, and there she stood smiling brightly looking up at him – his shining star.

"Where were you beta? I was so worried. Why weren't you coming over or calling me? Were you unwell?" asked a concerned Anurag as he held her hand and brought her into his house.

"I know, I know, you must be missing me terribly, but I was so busy that I couldn't come. I have a surprise for you!" she replied radiantly, brightening up Anurag's mood instantly.

"For me, what? Is it another painting you made for me?" he asked sounding excited.

"No, no. This time it is an invitation. I came to invite you for my school's annual function! You will come right? I will be dancing!" she chirped excitedly. Anurag laughed at her excitement.

"But aren't school events only for children and their guardians?"

"Yes, but 'maasi' has evening duty in the hospital so she can't come. My teacher told me I can bring one guest in her place" she finished overjoyed.

"Of course I will come then, you will invite and I won't come, that's not possible!"

***

Prerna was sitting with Jiya in the green room and helping her dress up for her dance performance, it was the annual function in the school and all the children were excited to have one. Unlike the private schools, these schools couldn't ever fund one, and once Prerna came in she saw to it that the children didn't miss out on this opportunity.

Over the past few months Prerna had made a lot of confusing discoveries, none of which made sense. She was again living in the Basu mansion since her return, but everything had changed in the last five months. Apparently Anurag wasn't staying there anymore; he had moved out and was on a sabbatical. To begin with that made no sense, who abandons their most prized possessions when they are most in need of protecting? Komolika and Mohini Basu was never her peers but Kakababu wasn't himself either – he didn't tell her much other than the fact that Anurag was on a break and she could make herself comfortable at the mansion – although Prerna did notice the pool of tears that formed in his eyes every time they spoke. She just didn't know why, and he wasn't willing to talk either.

Slowly overtime Prerna realised that her instincts were right, something was amiss – that day when Anurag sat defeated at her feet, it was not because of what she had done to the mall, in fact it had nothing to do with Diya. Prerna saw how neglected Diya was in the absence of her father in the house. Komolike had no time for her, Mohini Basu was busy rebranding her name after the Durga Puja sponsorship fiasco, Kakababu was lost in his world. As much as she didn't want to be involved, she often took time out to spend with Diya, she missed her Baba, she was quieter now – Prerna would try and take her mind off things once in a while; she would smile at the unfair irony life showed people – here she was, childless looking for children to love and heal in the process from the loss of her daughter and there Komolika and Anurag had a perfectly lovely and healthy daughter that they couldn't care less about.

Prerna never tried to find out where Anurag was, but she did try to investigate in knowing what else had happened the day Anurag had broken down before her, while there were no concrete answer as yet, she was sure there were some answers to find. In all this mess, when she was exhausted she would take respite by visiting the school to meet Jiya. The little girl lit up her world, all worries ceased to exist for Prerna when she was around Jiya.

Today she was very excited as Prerna was helping her dress up for the dance, she kept on prattling about her best friend who was going to come to watch her dance. In fact she was so excited that she wasn't standing still in one spot for long enough for Prerna to properly pin her dress up even. Finally after a lot of difficulty Jiya went on stage and an exhausted but excited Prerna rushed to the audience to find her seat as the show was about to begin; just before the lights were dimmed her eyes caught a silhouette a couple of rows ahead of her to the right, what was Anurag doing there she wondered, no it must have been a mistake she thought to herself as the show began.