Chapter 6: Brave New World

Prerna was clapping excitedly after all the performances were over; Jiya had danced wonderfully, her moves were so swift it felt like dance came to her naturally, again another Anurag like feature she had, thought Prerna, rolling her eyes. As she got up from her seat to finally meet Jiya backstage to hug and congratulate her, she saw her run past her in excitement towards someone else. Jiya ran towards the garden and hugged a man from behind, for a moment Prerna almost felt jealous, who was Jiya hugging before her, after all she was her best friend! Prerna knew Jiya's guardian wasn't making it and a friend was coming to cheer her, but she imagined a friend of her age, not a fully grown man – as she walked towards the duo she heard Jiya excitedly chatting with the man as he slowly turned around to pick her up in his lap – Prerna froze for a moment, it was like time had stopped. Holding Jiya close to his chest and laughing animatedly was Anurag Basu. He was kissing her cheek, congratulating her and cheering her like it was his sole mission in life – to keep Jiya happy.

Before Prerna could react, Jiya turned around and saw her; she called out to her from Anurag's lap, "Arre, Prerna aunty!! Come here meet my best friend Anurag uncle". At the mention of her name, Prerna saw Anurag's head shot up towards her and his expression froze. Neither could tell for how long they stood there stupefied before Jiya shook them out of their state.

"What are you doing here?" they both asked at the same time but before either could answer, a friend called Jiya and she excitedly took off to greet her friend.

"How do you know Jiya?" Prerna asked Anurag

"She stays close to where I stay" he replied looking down, in a matter of minutes his happy excitement was gone and his face looked dark, hollow and eyes extremely dry, he seemed guilty to be happy, Prerna wondered why, Anurag's actions and behaviours recently were really beyond her comprehension.

"You moved to North Calcutta now?" she asked again, to which he just nodded looking away.

"What are you doing here?" he asked after a moment of awkward silence.

"I am sponsoring this event and also one of the committee members to this charitable foundation now" Prerna replied quietly.

"Here, in India?" he asked looking up surprised.

"Yes, I am here for the last five months now, here to withdraw the partnership with your company, still in negotiations with your wife on that"

"Not my company, Komolika's" he responded

"Yes, I am aware you have abandoned ship. I stay in the same mansion" replied Prerna urging him to respond, she could sense it something was wrong, she needed answers. As expected his head shot up again, "You are staying at Basu Bari?"

"Yes, there. Also, not that it's my place to say, but Diya misses you"

"Diya. Yes, Diya. She has Baba and Ma, they will handle her for a while" he answered lost in his own thought.

"A while, so this MIA thing is temporary?" Prerna pushed further.

"I don't know, I haven't quite figured it out. Why are you so invested in this committee, board and all, your stay in India is also temporary right?" he asked trying to change subject.

"My stay is, but this place isn't..so" replied Prerna gulping the lump that had formed in her throat at the mention of the place, it suddenly struck her, ever since the fire incidence of that fateful night, it was the first time she and Anurag both were here together, both Sneha's parents, at the place where Sneha breathed her last. It was such an overwhelming thought, that it brought tears in her eye, and much to her dismay, Anurag noticed.

"Prerna, why are you.." but his voice trailed off, and he looked surprised. His surprise and indifference and reluctance to acknowledge this place would have fuelled Prerna's wrath, but not today, she didn't have the courage to fight at that moment, too much she had lost already at this place.