PROLOGUE

The underworld is a little strange, I'll give it that. Though shockingly, it's very similar to the surface. They have a government, jobs, families, all of it. Sure, there is a constant sense of dread and hardly any bit of happiness, but, if you try hard enough you can make it work! If you have ties to the underworld that is. It's a bit of a power struggle.

My name is Margot Davies, I'm 19, and for the next 4 years of my life, I've sold my soul to the devil. Not actually though. That would be ridiculous. I used to be a skeptic when it came to the supernatural. Then demons and ghouls ran rampant through my early teenage years and ruined everything. It was a tough time, but I managed to get through it. Though the end result has landed me right where I am, the underworld that is.

I had made a deal with a powerful spirit that if he let all my friends rest in peace, he could have me. He had some plans for me after our little agreement. The first was to make me into a monster. You probably know the typical story by now. Kid goes 'mysteriously' psycho and kills their loved ones only to run deep into the forest never to be seen again.

I was forced to watch as something that wasn't me killed my boyfriend. It was very traumatic as you could imagine. I was also very pissed with my new 'friend'. So, we made a new deal. He couldn't possess me as long as I brought him offerings. It was a bitter pill to swallow for me. The fact that I was now a slave to some minor deity made my stomach turn.

Now, it doesn't bother me as much. I've been trying to make the best of my situation. I do my best to remain happy and keep moving on, though my past still haunts me. So much so that I have vivid nightmares. I can't sleep easy at all, because all that waits for me in my dreams is him. Though, with a new opportunity that had arisen, I hoped to change my sour lifestyle.

A month ago I had gotten a letter in the mail from a Mister S.M. It was an informative brochure about a school meant for kids facing similar issues as I. It was meant to train us and better our control. Only catch was it was in the underworld. This was somewhere I had never been before in my life. So, I was a little scared. Now that I'm here, it's a bit of a different story.

Yes, there are a few bad eggs and sketchy areas, but nothing that I can't handle. I was strong, and I've lived in bad places before so I had experience. Nothing that I was about to shit my pants over.