Chapter 1- A new start

I walked down the brick road, my suitcase rolling behind me. I looked at the brochure I had received intently, too nervous to look up. I had been staying in a run down motel for the past week. It was a very sketchy area and left me with a very nervous stomach about the whole 'underworld' thing. I had been here for a short while though, so, I was going to try my best not to assume anything.

I approached a large iron gate that seemed to tower on forever. One of the doors was propped open by a wooden sign. It read "Welcome new students!". I smiled at the friendly welcome and walked through the gate. I looked up for the first time in my long journey. What I saw was surprising.

Green lawns, blue ponds, fresh air. It was very unexpected. Though I guess they had to make a good impression. I was sure I'd see this place's real face in a few days. I walked towards the largest building on the campus. It was made from brick and concrete. A large clock on a tower in the center of a large green lawn read 6:45pm.

I looked down from the clock back to what was in front of me. I made my way up a short staircase to the front doors of the main building. Nervous, I double checked the brochure, making sure I had the right place.

"Yep..." I quietly confirmed to myself. I set my luggage down for a moment so that I could pull open one of the large twin doors in front of me. As soon as it was open I grabbed my luggage and hurried in. When I entered the building and looked around, my eyes widened.

I had been expecting humans. Not humanoids. I knew there'd be a few inhuman students, but not as many as I saw. The ratio of 'monster' to human was dramatic. I counted at least 3 humans not including me, and 12 inhumans. My heart jumped into my throat and I continued on my way. As I walked, I slowly realized I had no clue where to go. Orientation wasn't for another 2 hours, and I didn't have my dorm information.

I shakily looked up, eyeing each student. I had to ask someone else where to go from here. I couldn't just go to orientation with my luggage, could I? I took in a shaky breath, my eyes landing on a boy with a white hoodie on. I clenched the handle of my suitcase as I stated his way. Soon, I started approaching him.

He was sitting on a cement bench in the center of the school. The way he was sat took up half of the bench. The boy had long black hair that covered up his face. A quick whiff told me that he hadn't touched a shower in months. I took in a deep breath and approached him.

As I got closer to him, he turned his head to me. I nearly jumped. He had mutilated his face, and his right eye was a milky white. Still, I continued towards him. I wouldn't let his looks deter me.

"Excuse me, uhm." I began, anxiety over taking me. I exhaled sharply, pushing through my fears, trying to form a sentence. "Do you know where they've posted dorm assignments?" I finished my sentence shakily.

The boy looked at me, deep down in my eyes. His one good eye scanned me up and down. The air was tense for a short while. That was until he broke out into laughter. It was a slow raspy chuckle. The sound was very unnerving.

"You're gonna die." The boy spoke. His voice was deep and hoarse. "First week here, they're gonna fucking kill you." He looked at my face again. His legs moved from the bench to the floor. The greasy male leaned forward and smiled.

I almost gagged.I could see his muscles moving under flaps of skin on his face. I slowly realized just how ruined this guy's skin was. It was disgusting to say the least.

"Thanks uh, y-you didn't exactly answer my question though?" I looked him in the eyes. If I looked anywhere else I'd be either shocked or nauseous. "Where's the dorm assignments posted?" I asked the question again.