_4_

Percy POV:

I can't marry her.

That's all I could think about as I sat on my bed with tears rolling down my cheeks. 

I can't believe it. After all this time, I can't marry my best friend like I had hoped I would one day. 

I didn't know how long I had been sitting there. I didn't care. I just sat there, allowing the feeling of heartbreak wash over me. It's an awful feeling. I don't recommend getting your heart broken.

I guess I didn't really have a right to be feeling this way. I didn't even know if she had entered the selection. We didn't talk about it much. I t was the one thing we avoided talking about. I never knew why she avoided it. I know why I did. 

Annabeth was different. She wasn't a girl that got all dressed up all of the time. She wasn't a girl that wore a lot of makeup or always wore a fake smile. She was natural. From her blonde, princess curled hair that reached her hips, to her amazing, real personality. She was just different from other girls, and I liked her like that. Of course, living in the palace meant that she had to get dressed up for royal balls and tea with other rulers, but when she wasn't trying to be respectful and pristine, she was just Annabeth, and just Annabeth is beautiful.

That is why I let the tears fall. It was my own fault. I hadn't told her how I felt when I had the chance before the selection. Now I had to marry a girl I've never met. What will the girls in the selection even think of me? Most are probably only in it for the crown. See after I get married, me and my bride will be king and queen some day. Not immediately, but it won't be too long unlit my mom and Paul, the King and Queen of Athens retire from their thrones. All of the girls in the selection, heck, the whole kingdom knows that. 

The tears stopped falling and my eyes burned. I finally got up and went to the bathroom to wash my face. I couldn't be seen looking like I had been crying. People would ask questions and I don't think I could deal with that right now, or ever.

After I washed my face I went back and sat on my bed, my head in my hands. I stayed like that for a while.

Eventually, I heard a quiet knock on the door.

"Percy?" an all to familiar voice called out.

Annabeth's POV:

I lay on my bed, still twisting my beads and thinking about Percy. His door had been shut when I ran up the stairs and into my room which probably meant he was in there. I know that he doesn't want to do this selection. I never knew exactly why but I know that I wouldn't want to have to be forced to marry some randomly selected person. 

I finally worked up the courage to go knock on his door. 'It's a good idea,' I told myself. 'You need to make sure that your best friends is always okay, no matter what happens.

It took a minute, but I eventually dragged myself off of my bed and over to my way to large closet. I rummaged through until I found just what I was looking for, a cropped spaghetti strap tank top, and some sweatpants. I threw my hair in a messy bun and didn't bother to look at my reflection. I walked out of the closet and out the door to my room, pulling the door shut behind me. I took two steps forward so that I was standing right in front of his door. My hand hovered in a knocking position for a few seconds before I knocked lightly.

"Percy?" I called out quietly.

I waited a second.

Two seconds.

Three.

"Hey Percy you there?" I tried again.

No response. I shrugged and opened the door poking my head in to see Percy sitting on his bed with his head in his hands. I walked over a took a seat next to him on the bed. The door remained slightly ajar but I didn't notice. We just sat there. I eventually leaned over and put my head on his shoulder, just resting it there. He didn't mind. I had done this so many times it was just natural for us.

I sat there for a few more minutes before asking, "Do you want to talk about it?"

Percy's POV:

Annabeth's head on my shoulder, her curls falling in my face, it all felt so natural. It's hard to describe, but it just worked. There was nothing awkward about it. I was so... so right.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

The second those words came out of her mouth I lifted my head and turned to look at her. She looked up at me with her startling and scary, yet beautiful grey eyes. I shook my head and looked away. I could feel her gaze on me but I didn't look at her. If I did, I knew I would do something I shouldn't. 

Finally I felt the bed shift next to me and looked up to see Annabeth standing in front of me with her arms open. I silently got up and hugged her. Her arms wrapped around my midsection tightly while my arms wrapped around her waste and pulled her close to me. I was about 6'2" and Annabeth was about 5'7", so she was considerably shorter than me, but me fit together so perfectly that it hurt. We just stood there, in my room, hugging each other and holding each other tight as tight as possible.

I wasn't sure how long we stood there hugging but eventually, I heard sniffles. I realized Annabeth was crying.

"Hey, hey, hey," I said gently, pulling back so that I could see her face. "Don't cry. Everything's going to be okay." She still didn't look me in the eyes. "Hey," I said, lift her chin slightly with my fingers, "It's okay." Her eyes were clouded and far away. 

But she didn't look away.

A/N: Okay new chapter. Thanks for the comments. I makes me feel so good when people actually say that they want to read more of my story. Anyways, please please please please please comment and vote. It means so much to me. Seriously! Thanks guys! I'll try to update soon!!