VII

Flashback:

"Come here Lenani!" I yelled for her. Her golden locks tied in twin ponytails as she bounced her way over to me.

"IT'S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY KAYNIE! DID YOU GET ME ANYTHING! I'M A BIG GIRL NOW 8 YEARS! SOON I'M GOING TO BE 13 LIKE YOU TOO!" She proudly stated. I chuckled as I took out a small wrapped box.

"Here you go Len, even though your not my sister I still love you so much. I promise to always protect you." I told her with pride. She nodded her head, indicating that she trusted me.

She shouldn't have trusted me.

Screams were what woke me first. Then the smell of burning fire and pieces of houses flaring down, the heat and bloodshed were everywhere. The whole village was in fear, The robe that I wore clung onto me as the temperature much so very obviously dropped outside in the cold winter air. Though the left side of me had a light feel or warmth to it, I look back to see the whole village but decorated with soaring flames by the creatures. They had huge wings and scales as they flew high and dropped the people I once knew, I once called family and friends, to their death.

I felt little arms wrap themselves around my torso, those little arms belonged to my sweet Lenani. Her parents had died in a rogue attack by werewolves. She had been through enough, she doesn't deserve this.

"W-What's going on Kaynie? I'm scared. But you're going to protect me, right?"

"Yes, I promise sweetie."

"Pinkie promise?"

"Pinkie Promise."

It's funny isn't it, promises are made to be broken.

I held Lenani in my arms as I ran, I knew Connor was still at his training camp to become the chief of the village so he wouldn't be here. I just had to get to him or at least somewhere safe. The creatures roared and sprayed fire as I finally realized what they were,

Dragon shifters.

They brought chaos and fear to innocent people and why? What have we ever done against them? My feet carried me over to my small cabin which I call home, I had to at least get some essentials whilst I still could. Something stopped me in my tracks though. Smoldering, fire licked the bottom of my home like a hungry kitten with a saucer of milk, crackling, playful, gentle at first, the fire flickered, flared, leaped, spat, a shower of sparks like a fountain, plumes of black-grey smoke, wound itself around my home like a great hungry serpent, devouring everything in its route, choking clouds of noxious smoke, inferno, blazing, out of control, ash floating to the ground like great dirty flakes of snow, showering onto everything, sprinkling onto the ground.

It was gone.

Everything, the memories of comfort in that home was now ash, everything I needed to help Lenani in that home was now ash.

"K-KAYNIE!" I could hear Lenani yell in distress, I turned my head around to be met with a dragon shifter himself. Though he was in his human form with bright red flames circling him. A sickening smirk lays on his features. He made his way towards us, with each step he took the ground to seem to shake, as Lenani and I too shook with fear.

"Let her g-go at least." I tried to put on a sturdy voice when I was scared to the core. Soon, My back was on a tree as he headed over me. He was at least 6'2, shadowing my 5'2 frame. He eyed me from the tips of my ears to the bottom of my bare feet.

"Come with me, or the girl dies" He whispered into my ear. His voice was so low I almost couldn't make out what he was saying.

I immediately tightened my hold on Lenani, if I was going to be the sacrifice then so be it.

"Lenani, baby. I have to go with the man alright? I need you to stay here and wait until Connor comes. When Connor comes, make sure to tell him I love him alright? I love you Lenani don't forget that."

I thought those were going to be my last words as I placed Lenani down on the soft grass. Her eyes glistening with tears. I made my way over to the dragon shifter. I was immediately placed into a headlock to make sure I don't go anywhere. Tears blurred my vision as I saw Lenani sobbing at me, telling me not to leave her.

It was then when it happened.

It seemed to happen in slow motion.

I watched as a random dragon shifter walked towards us. I thought he was coming to me, but he took one look at sobbing Lenani and less than a second. His hands were wrapped around her neck as a cracked echo around me. I remembered screaming until my lungs could no more when my brother and the troupes finally came back and got the dragons to leave me.

I didn't know how long I laid there sobbing as I cradled her lifeless body. She didn't deserve this. How could they do this? She was os young, she had so much life in her only for a heartless monster to rip it straight out of her. I didn't eat for weeks and started having panic attacks more often.

You could have saved her.

Flashback over.

Everything came crashing down like a ton of bricks. Her death, those monsters, and everything else. I couldn't stay here, he was disgusting, ruthless monsters. He made his way over to me, concern was written all over his face, though I knew better. I knew a ruthless monster hid behind his caring actions, I think. I walked back as I almost lost my footing. My mind was screaming for me to run.

So I did.