Twenty

You woke to the sound of Alby's voice. But it wasn't meant for you to hear. You rolled onto your side to see who he was talking to. Thomas. Of course.

You groaned, annoyed at being woken at the early hour. Alby was probably going to give the Greenie the tour just like he had to you. Is that really a job for the leader? you found yourself wondering, but let it pass.

The sun had started to rise and you figured that you might as well wake up early. The Gladers would be awake soon, anyways.

You walked to the Homestead, where Fry was already cooking.

"Oh, Fry," you sighed as you sat down near him. You rubbed your sore back. "Why are you up so early?"

"Do you want the food or not, Y/n?" he asked with a laugh.

"Please," you answered. Your stomach growled at the thought of food. He handed you a plate of breakfast and you watched as another Glader walked through the doorway to the kitchen.

You expected to see Alby and Thomas, but were surprised to see Newt and Minho. They were whispering to each other, like they didn't want to be heard by anybody.

Fry slipped them two plates of food and they grabbed them, heading for a table across the room. You sat and watched, waiting for them to notice. This was extremely unlike both of them.

Newt shifted glances around the room after a while, eyes locking on yours. You smiled at him.

"Bloody hell, Y/n," he exclaimed. "You've been here the whole time?"

You nodded. He stood up and walked toward you, followed by Minho. A laugh sounded from Fry's direction.

Newt sat down next to you, placing a small kiss on your cheek. "How'd you sleep?"

"Cut the klunk," you told him. "What was the secret-keeping club talking about over there?"

"Nothing to worry about," Minho cut in, glaring at Newt. 

"Right," you affirmed, dragging out the word. "Keep your secrets."

"We will," Minho stated. You rolled your eyes. 

After an unusual moment of silence, you asked, "So, how long do you plan on keeping me out of the Maze?"

Newt dropped the fork he had been eating with. Picking it back up clumsily, he responded, "How long do ya want to stay out of there?"

Minho didn't let you respond. "Chuckie told me the Greenie said he wanted to be a Runner. Don't know where the kid learned what a Runner is, but I sure as hell ain't puttin' him in the Maze before her."

You didn't know exactly what he meant by that, but you figured he was implying he wanted you back in the Maze.

You regretted asking about it because you didn't know what to say now. You let the group sit in silence as more people began to flood the kitchen. When you, Newt, and Minho had finished, you all left the Homestead. Minho went towards the Map Room and you followed Newt to the Garden.

You worked in the Garden until lunch, when you brought a sandwich to the edge of the Deadheads with Newt.

The grass was sharper near the Deadheads and it pricked your legs as you sat by Newt.

"I don't know about you," Newt said to you as you bit into soft bread. It clung to the top of your mouth and you pryed at it with your tongue. "But something about the Greenie is unsettling. Like I know him, and not in a good way, ya know?"

You did know, but you shook your head. You didn't want Newt to think there was a reason to worry. And then you gave him a reason to worry, "He asked me if I was single yesterday."