Twenty-Six

It had been decided that Thomas was to be a Runner. He would start training with Minho sometime soon. This had only given Newt another reason to argue that you didn't have to go back into the Maze. Some part of you was relieved about it, too. But Runners and Mazes were close to the last thing from your mind.

The rest of the day was unusually insipid. Everybody worked their jobs, ate lunch, talked to their friends -- all while trying to push the thought of the second girl from their minds, but everybody seemed to have already forgotten about her.

It was break, but you weren't hungry enough to eat lunch. You sat by the Deadheads, Newt at your side. You felt his arm secured around your shoulders, head leaning on yours. He breathed quietly, the sound being the only thing you could hear. You wished that, for once, the trees of the Deadheads would tremble in the wind, would fill the Glade with a new noise, but you knew that could never happen. You had been in the Glade for two months and the only thing that had ever caused any wind was the closing of the doors, just a small puff of cold air when they slammed together. There was simply no wind here -- no wind, no rain, no snow, no weather at all.

The sound of twigs signaled that someone was walking toward you. Not wanting anybody to disturb the silence between you and Newt, you squeezed your eyes closed, hoping they would go away but knowing that was just about the closest you could get to wishful thinking.

"Hey, guys," someone said. Thomas. Definitely Thomas. "Did anybody decide on something after... that?"

You knew he was referring to what had happened during the Council's meet. You wanted to tell him to go away, but he probably deserved to know how he would be punished. Not that you thought punishment was necessary; he had just saved three lives and killed one of the most monstrous monsters you had ever known.

You heard Thomas sit down. Does he really have to sit down?  You let out a sigh, meaning for it to be a bit quieter than it actually was. Newt rubbed your back as he sat up, sensing that you were annoyed at Thomas.

"We said one night in the pit," Newt answered him. Even though he wasn't talking to you, his voice seemed to lift some weight off of your shoulders that you hadn't even noticed was there. "No food."

You opened your eyes, looking at Thomas. He sat with his legs crossed and tucked his arms underneath them, as if he knew he was bothering you but didn't care.

"That's it?" Thomas asked, surprise filling his voice. You wondered if he had expected more, maybe he had expected something a little harsher. You assumed that Gally had followed through on his promise and refused to talk to anybody for the remainder of the day, so there was probably less pressure to make the punishment harsh.

Newt rubbed his forehead, puffing air out of his cheeks. "What, would you rather we leave you in there for a whole bloody week and let you starve?" 

Thomas untucked his hands, holding them out in front of him. "No, Newt, that's not what I meant. I'm just saying-"

"Do yourself a favor and stop talking before you get yourself thrown off of the Cliff," you cut him off. He looked away, flooding you with a sudden wave of relief. You looked to Newt, who smiled with a look of 'he's just the Greenie'. 

As if Thomas's presence wasn't enough, you saw Chuck running towards the group. Thomas turned to look at him. Everyone noticed the look of concern spread across the younger boy's face?

Newt asked, "What's wrong?"

Chuck sucked in a breath. "The Med-Jacks sent me." 

"Why?"

"Alby's thrashing around and acting crazy, telling them he needs to talk to some one."

Newt started to push himself off of the ground when Chuck held up his hand. "Not you."