Thirty-Two

The crescendo in the sound of the Grievers sent sweat racing down your forehead. They were certainly approaching the Homestead. Your lungs burned as you held your breath, fearing that even the slightest release of air might be the cause of your death, but you didn't let it go until your head began to spin with the lack of oxygen. Even then, you let it out slowly and carefully before taking another large gulp of air.

Many of the Gladers had gathered in a large room. You had never been in it before. There was a bed, nicely made with sheet sheets and a blanket and four fluffy pillows. There were windows on three of the walls -- boarded up as well as they could be on such short notice. 

Everybody gathered in the corner farthest from the windows, against a wall where the Grievers couldn't possibly enter. You focused on the window directly across from you, trying to wipe the picture of a large mechanical creature jumping through and stinging you as you gripped Newt's hand hard. He had an arm wrapped around your waist as if he could protect you like that. He was probably doing it out of instict and not even aware. But you were.

You jumped at a sudden noise, moving closer to Newt at the uncertainty of its source. It only took a few seconds to realize that the door to the room had opened, letting in another boy. You looked to see who it was, the squinting not helping your vision much in the unlit room.

You figured out who it was just before someone said his name, "Gally?" You noticed you hadn't seen Gally around recently. "But-"

"They'll kill you!" Gally cut off the boy with a sharp yell. You flinched at the loudness. The Grievers will hear.

You finally got a good look at the boy -- rage flooded his eyes. He dropped to the floor and onto his knees, taking deep breaths into his heaving chest. His clothes were dirtier than any you had ever seen and barely held together. "The Grievers will kill you -- one a night until it's over!"

Nobody moved; everyone was stunned at how out-of-it Gally seemed. You sat -- not realizing that you were clinging to Newt -- studying Gally's anger.

Gally's eyes scanned everybody quickly, hesitating when his eyes met yours, then moving on. When he reached the boys directly in front of him, he stopped. The rage fueling him seemed to double in amount. You looked to see who had sparked his interest.

Of course it's Thomas, you thought as you saw the older boy staring back. 

"You." Gally's voice was no louder than a whisper, but then it grew louder. "It's all your fault!" WIthout further words, he made a fist and swung it at Thomas's face. The Greenie crumpled to the ground, but stood up as soon as he hit the wood below him.

Newt jumped up, pushing you off of him, and pushed Gally away from Thomas. Gally fell backward and hit a table, sending a lamp to the ground. You looked at the shattered glass, admired the way it reflected the dim light of the new sky.

Gally didn't lunge at Newt or Thomas or anybody else. Instead, he spoke again. "The shuck Maze'll kill you all. . . . The Grievers will kill you . . . one every night until it's over. . . . They'll only kill you one a night . . . their stupid Variables . . ."

You tried to decipher his words, but he wasn't making any sense. One a night until it's over, Variables. Had Thomas been right about the experiment?

Newt stepped forward. You still sat on the floor, unable to move. "Gally, shut your bloody hole -- there's a Griever right outside. Just sit on your butt and be quiet -- maybe it'll go away."

Gally scoffed, narrowing his eyes at Newt. A knot twisted in your stomach at the sight of the two emotions combined. "You don't get it, Newt. You're too stupid -- you've always been too stupid. There's no way out of here -- no way to win! They're killing you. All of you. One by one!"