Chapter 2

The fuel

In front of them, there are some of the few houses with a garden in the neighbourhood. It is discernable by the green smoke coming out from the chimney. Viktor had rung the bell four times and now feels that Urgot is losing his patience.

He tries a fifth time and hopes his colleague opens. If his host broke a wall of that house, especially with firearms, he would create an explosion so big that he was not sure to survive it.

« I am coming, I am coming. Hang on. »

The door finally opens, and a hunched and bald man appears. He also has a mask that covers his mouth.

« Viktor, what an honour. Is rust that thing on your third arm? »

« Be less ironic, Singed; I am not in the right mood. »

« And when have you ever had the right mood? » Singed says.

« The fuel. » Urgot points out, annoyed.

« Yes, right. My friend here would like to ask you for a favour. You know, in honour of the old times... »

Singed does not listen to Viktor; his focus is on the second visitor. He looks threatening, mostly when he mimics to beath him to death.
He knows Urgot and, despite his last inclinations, he usually keeps his word when he wants to end someone badly.

« Came in, I'll see what can I do. »

A small size living room welcomes them, also well furnished. The only negative point is the chaos, made by scattered notes, full or empty ampoules, abandoned lab coats and sticky stains that reaches the roof. 

« If you do not mind my asking, but how do you sustain this place? After the downturn, I had to move. »

« I accepted to work as a chemistry teacher. I am desperate; even the brats ignore me. " You are outdated ", they say. Me outdated! As if those were nothing! » Singed shouts, pointing a corner of the living room, maybe the only one tidy.

Viktor looks at a shelf, full of prizes Singed awarded in his career as a villain, and now they are old and dusty. He has always envied him for his glory. He has never reached his levels of madness, and so neither his crazy ideas to lure their enemies.

« What can I say, intergalactic monsters are the new trend. It is so bitter thinking that a braindead insect has more dignity than me as a villain. »

« They are not braindead insects. They are dark creatures created by an evil force. You should not underestimate them! »

Viktor and Singed look at Urgot puzzled. They can not endorse that those words come out of his mouth. The scientist signals the colleague to get closer so that he can speak in a low voice.

« Hey, listen... was that struggle so bad? »

« I am an engineer, not a doctor. The most that I could do was putting the ice on his head. If something inside was damaged, I could not do anything. »

« The fuel... » Urgot recalls almost hissing.

« Right, right... » Viktor says, raising his voice, « I have to build a little mechanical creature for Urgot, but I run out of fuel. I was wondering if you could kindly meet our needs. You know, not everyone has the guts to humiliate themselves with a normal job. »

Singed looks again at the mechanical criminal and, when Urgot threatens him to cut his throat, he understands that it is better to give them some fuel in exchange for his life.

« Yes, I think I still have something. You do not need much, right? You said it is just a small mechanical creature. »

« Yes, yes, nothing excessive. »

« Hey, I also want it to have powers and not just walk around, or it will never impress the Star Guardians! » Urgot shouts.

« What the hell is he talking about? » Singed asks.

« I will explain it later, » Viktor answers disconsolate.

The scientist nods before he finds out a sentence that will not cause him another threaten.

« My dear Urgot, you should know that I am a scientist, precisely a chemist, and I am famous for all the times that I have created some lethal gasses. I think that giving magical powers to a mechanical creature is not in my parameters. I can give you the fuel to set it in motion, but for the rest, you should ask Viktor. »

Urgot turns to the inventor with a not comfortable look.

« Do you want it to create some magical wings? »

« Yes, it will be wonderful! So it would be like Yuuto! » the criminal says, so happy that his eyes are shining.

« Well, I can not do that. Until it is a matter of cannons that emulate the light trails of those brats, it is feasible. Now we are entering the field of magic. »

Urgot turns to Singed, hoping to get something from him.

« Sometimes I practice alchemy, not magic. And I do not think you want a revived carcass as a pet. But Viktor can build some mechanical wings. »

Urgot turns again to Viktor.

« But they would not have the typical sparkle of the familiar. They would be boring and ordinary. Maybe... »

« That is enough! I want him to be magical, with two beautiful wings and also with a light trail! And if you do not find a solution... »

Urgot's threat is becoming more urgent, and the two villains look at each other worried. They are unable to escape from that dead end. They are men of science, maybe with some crazy ideas, but they have limitations. The Guardians were their Achilles' heel because of their extraordinary skills, those mystical powers that their invention could not match. They need someone at their level, or at least, that has tried to reach that level.

The look of the two villains suddenly changes, and they understand they had the same idea.