Chapter 8

I had basketball practice right after school but as soon as it was out I ran to the front of the school to find Jonah already waiting for me. I texted my mom earlier to let her know I would be at Jonah's for dinner. My mom is a cool mom and doesn't mind a lot of things. She also loves Jonah and Micah so she's never once let me refuse something from one of them. 

She lets me go out with my friends and come home late at night. She lets me stay at Thora and Eliza's houses even though they are girls (because she knows we're all gay and would never go for each other). I'm allowed to drink but only if it's at home. She's even offered to buy me weed and condoms if I wanted them. I'm not interested in smoking and getting high like other people, though, so I've never smoked anything before. As for condoms, who would I use them with?

My mom's sister is the crazy one. She's ten years older than mom and thinks her way is the only way and that she's the only one who is ever right. Honestly, I've never liked her much. Even mom can't help but roll her eyes from time to time when it comes to her sister. And when my aunt found out that I liked boys back when I was like six or something, she had to fly all the way out to Minneapolis Minnesota where we live just to give me a scolding. 

She is that typical 'you're going to burn in hell' type of person. She tries to spout bible verses and prayers my way. She even gifted me a bible for my eighth birthday with versus already highlighted and sticky tabs sticking out everywhere to mark pages. Suffice it to say, my aunt doesn't like me much and thinks I am soiling the family name by 'going against god and liking boys'. I've read that Bible, though, and nowhere in it did it say being gay was going to send you to Hell.

My aunt has been trying to get me to be straight since I was six years old. She's tried very hard over the years. She even went as far as to get a preacher to come out to my house to preach to me about how terrible Hell is; and that if I stay on the path I'm on then I'm surely going to have a spot in Hell with a nameplate. Because apparently God doesn't like gays and I offend him. Oh, but Satan loves gay people and loves to torment them the most. So I won't just be tortured, I'll get special treatment torture. 

My mom won't let my aunt take me away either like she's been trying to do once she realized her efforts were wasted on me. My aunt says my parents failed me and she's the only one who can correct or save me now. She wants to send me to some private school in England now to 'school the gay out' of me. Like come on it's my last year of high school and she's still going on about my gayness?

I shake the thoughts out of my head as I head for Jonah's truck. Jonah reaches over to help me open the passenger door before sitting correctly in the driver's seat again. I throw my bag to the ground and hop up into the truck. The second the door is shut and I am safe from anyone but Jonah hearing, my day comes out of my mouth like a kid who ate something at every concession stand and then preceded to go on all the carnival rides.

"Ambrose is here! He's at my school! He's in every one of my classes! Like, every single class! How is that even possible? He's so beautiful and all I want to do is stare at him but then he'd catch me and think I'm a gross freak. I already made a fool of myself several times in front of him. I don't know how to act around him. Jonah, help me! I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm super glad he's okay after that whole school burning down thing, but did he have to be put in my school? Did he have to be in every one of my classes? I would do much better if he wasn't in every one of my classes. I could have admired him from afar instead. Jonah, what am I going to do?"

Jonah stares at me with wide eyes throughout my entire word vomit. He waits until I take a big breath to speak. 

"Okay," He says slowly as he looks out the windshield. He frowns a bit before a smirk flits across his admittedly handsome features. "How about we talk about this at my place? Micah is there with the kids who are positively dying to see your cute self,"