Chapter 11

Chord

After coming back inside with Penn, he disappears and I make my way through to the kitchen, I need another drink. But the main kitchen off of the main living room is crawling with kids now, engaged in some kinda sing along to whatever song is playing over the speakers right now. Fuck that. I head through to the smaller kitchen in the back instead, there are only a few other guys in here, great. I pull a beer out of the fridge and twist the cap off, just as I hear something crashing outside. Crashing? Maybe more like a loud thud. Fuck knows, but something's happening out there. Probably a drunken brawl. What else am I doing? I'll go check it out. I push the back patio doors open and step outside to find none other than Scar laying on the porch further along the back of the house by the patio doors leading off of the main kitchen, with some fucking creep hovering over her.

"The fuck is this?" I spit at the guy as I storm towards the scene. He looks up at me and instantly I can tell he's as high as a fucking jet. His hands are on her shoulders, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out his intentions here.

I haul him off of her with both hands before he has a chance to so much as move. I throw him across the porch and find the other guys that were in the smaller kitchen just now standing by the open patio doors looking on at the scene in shock. I know a couple of them, they're on the basketball team with Drake. They're good guys, I can trust them.

"Don't let him go anywhere." I instruct before turning my attention to Scar. She's out cold, I think she hit her head. If he did this to her, I swear to god.

I pick her up gently and hold her limp body in my arms as I turn to the boys. They're pinning the scumbag down on a garden sofa, and I'm surprised to find a second good for nothing asshole being pinned by a couple of these guys too.

"They're together." One of the good guys informs me. I nod my head at him before carrying Scar along the porch and into the smaller kitchen, away from those fuckers. I'm glad to find the kitchen empty, we may just be able to contain this scene. I sweep an arm across the plastic cups on the counter and lay her down gently. I need to make sure she's okay before doing anything else. She moans lightly as I remove my arms from beneath her, and I need to ignore how the sound stirs something in my dick. That asshole outside clearly thought he'd won the lottery when he stumbled on a drunk girl that looks like this. She's fucking ridiculous, like Penn said, far too hot to go wondering around outside on her own. Thank god I went out there when I did.

"What's going on?" I look up and find Jason closing the kitchen door behind him, fantastic timing. His presence isn't a coincidence at all, I'm sure. His bodyguard senses always kick in around danger, he can just tell when something is off.

"I found her like this outside. Some piece of shit was leaning over her, he was gonna..." I trail off and bite my lips between my teeth. I can't finish that sentence, it makes me wanna punch something. And I will, as soon as I know Scar's gonna be all right. Jason looks down at her calmly, assessing the situation.

"She's passed out drunk, probably from hitting her head. She just needs to sleep it off, she'll be okay." As Jason gives his diagnosis, the kitchen door opens again and Penn walks in. To anyone else he would appear bored and uninterested as always, but I know he's concerned about this. It's his house, after all.

"Where's the guy?" Penn asks seriously. He doesn't even know what happened here, he can just tell that some scumbag is responsible. I cock my head towards the patio doors, and he's walking past me without another word. Maybe I won't get to punch that asshole after all. There probably won't be anything left to punch once Penn's through with him.

Jason looks after Penn in interest before turning his attention back to me. "You good here? I need to go check on Lyra."

"I'm fine, thanks Jace. I'm taking her upstairs." I inform him, and he nods his understanding as I pick Scar up again and head for the staircase in the back corner of the kitchen. Thank god there's no one loitering around here, if any decent guy saw me carrying an unconscious girl upstairs like this I'd probably be the one with a fist in my face. I'm helping her, though. I know it, Jace knows it and Penn knows it, that's all that matters.

I kick the door to my room open and lay Scar down on the bed. She's breathing and she's moaning again a little. I think she's fine, I don't think she's hurt. Jace was right, too many drinks if anything. I guess she stumbled out for fresh air and that guy saw an opportunity, I don't think he physically hurt her. And thanks to me, he didn't get the chance. I'm pretty confident she's good, but even still, I sit on the floor with my back against the bed for a while, mindlessly drawing in the sketch book I made a point of leaving over here. Fuck knows how much time's passed when the door opens and Penn walks in.

"She okay?" He asks, I nod my head.

"Yeah, she's been mumbling in her sleep and rolling around. What about the guy?"

"I kicked the shit out of them both." He informs, like he's just told me he shook the guys hand and told him to have a nice day. So casual. "Those other dudes are on the basketball team with Drake, a couple of them helped."

"Good." I say as I get to my feet. She's good, Penn knows she's here, I can go now.

"Who was the guy in the kitchen with you? The older guy?" Penn asks. He's talking about Jason, of course. I can't tell him the truth about Jason obviously, but I don't need to lie about him either.

"Jason's a friend. He's here with that girl Lyra I introduced you to." I explain, and Penn nods his understanding. He got along pretty well with Lyra when she showed up over here with Elliot, which I found kinda weird. Penn doesn't tend to waste his time talking to girls unless he's trying to get them into his bed. He's not gonna do that with Lyra, of course, because I told him she's a family friend of mine.

"You going?" He asks as I move towards the door.

"Yeah, I'm fine to drive I only had a few beers." He doesn't move when I reach him. I frown as he inclines his head towards the bed.

"Who is she anyway?" He asks, and why wouldn't he? She's been quite a fucking feature in my night tonight.

"Her name's Scar. She's a friend of Ryan's, the guy Dash is hoping to fuck tonight."

"You took her shoes off?" He asks with a smirk while tipping his chin towards her shoes. They're on the floor. Of course I took her fucking shoes off.

"You like wearing shoes to bed?" I ask with a raised eyebrow.

He laughs before backing out of the doorway. We both step into the hall and Penn locks my bedroom door with his master key. This way, she won't be interrupted by anyone. And the door unlocks from the inside, so she won't freak when she wakes up wondering where the fuck she is, she can let herself out.

"You told Dash about this?" Penn asks as we walk to the stairs together. "That guy Ryan might wanna take her home."

"She's out of it, she wouldn't be able to sit up in a car. She'll be cool here until morning, right?" I ask. Penn may be a dark, womanising asshole like me, but we aren't that type of asshole. He nods his agreement and I leave. I get into my car and start up the engine then I roll the window down before lighting up a joint. Don't take drugs and drive? Fuck it, I've done it plenty of times before. It'll be fine. And I need to chill the fuck out after what just happened. Not the part where I caught some scumbag trying to take advantage of a barely conscious girl. The part where my heart rate pretty much tripled when I had said barely conscious girl in my arms.

But I'm ignoring that. I have absolutely no interest in how that girl makes me feel, so it's all good. And it isn't even 1am yet. Hell, Tam is gonna be so proud of me for going home early tonight.