Chapter 68

Tam

"Thomas. Why aren't you shadowing my nephew?" 

I fall into line beside Pete as he strides past me behind a distraught looking man and woman, his tone clipped as he addresses me. 

"Sorry, boss. I thought Chord and Scar could use a little privacy. I know they won't leave the hospital under the circumstances -"

"It's fine." Pete cuts me off, his eyes on the couple in front of him as they rush down the hallway towards the OR. The man's short blonde hair is starting to grey, and the wrinkles around his mouth and eyes suggest a lifetime of laughter. But he isn't smiling now, he has no reason to be happy tonight. The woman is immaculately dressed in designer clothing, and her long, wavy blonde hair is styled to perfection. I know these are Jax's parents; Madison and Will Archibald. If I wasn't switched on enough to tell already, Madison's piercing lilac eyes would be a major give away. 

"Let me." Pete says to the couple gently as they approach the locked double doors leading into the OR. Pete presses the attention button on the intercom and Will wraps a supportive arm around his wife as they impatiently wait for a nurse to allow them entry into the theatre. When the doors buzz open, they sweep through immediately without a word to my boss. He doesn't follow them, he turns on me. 

"Where are they?" He asks evenly. 

"Chord said they were going down to the cafeteria." I inform. 

"Call him, get him back up here." 

"I can't, he gave his cellphone to Penn -"

I stop talking as my boss sighs in irritation. He can be pissed with me all he likes, I made a judgement call letting Chord and Scar go off on their own and I stand by it. She's been through hell tonight and she wants to talk to him, only him. She doesn't need me floating around in the background. 

"Jason." Pete speaks evenly again, his eyes staring straight ahead. Pete has an open line of communication with all of us at all times. He only needs to speak into his earpiece to command our attention. 

"Waiting room outside the OR, now."

I don't say anything while we wait for Jace to get out here, and neither does Pete. I stand ready, awaiting any further instruction. In moments, the double doors open again and Jace joins us. He doesn't wait to be questioned by our boss, he provides a progress report immediately. 

"The surgery is going well; they're hopeful she's gonna pull through. The bullet has been removed and they've managed to control the bleeding. But there was some internal as well as external bleeding. She's gonna be in here for a while and there's no telling how soon she'll wake up after the procedure is complete."

"How long?" Pete asks. 

"They're closing her up now, then her wound will be dressed. After that, it's up to her." Jace shows no emotion as he says this, and I remind myself that it isn't my place to get emotionally invested in this either. As much as I like Jax, I'm here because this is my job. I'm not here to celebrate the success of her surgery or to cry over the potential coma she may end up in.

"You need to talk to her as soon as she wakes up." Pete deadpans, his eyes on Jace. "Don't leave her side, and remember what I told you earlier." 

Jace nods his head before disappearing back into the OR. Pete turns his attention back on to me. 

"Find Chord and Scar. Get them up here. It's quiet and we need to get this story straight now." He instructs, and without delay I turn away from him and walk down the hallway towards the elevators.