The People I See

A man chases after an unhappy wife, who avoids her distant husband but now feels uncomfortable around her more recent love after a long adultery.

A woman fights the feelings to rebel and find love in her best friend who, unlike her vocalized and long sought after dreams of a perfect man from the movies, is another girl just trying to make her own in the world.

A woman continues to live in a small world without change after she asked for both marriage and divorce with little thought but the chance to overcome her deep depression, which began with the loss of her father right before she had to reconcile with adult life.

A man runs from the world and every failed relationship with the companionship of games and friends while pretending to be responsible despite constant aid from his parents as he avoids commitment with a nervous laugh and a shallow facade.

A woman hides her face and identity, and lies with an impossibly long list of individually probable problems and reasons, as she strings along men into her fantasy despite her living in a closet and where she can never go see them yet she clings to the hope of true love like what she sees on the television dramas that she burns her time away watching when not absorbing her current victim's attention.

A woman lives in marriage after a whim to fall for her much older manager, feeling forced to love the resulting child and be the role she knew she did not want to fall into for a decade leading up to that mistake.

A man tries to cry each time he wants to die after everything continues to feel apart and against him while trudging through life with the hope of finally reaching welcoming arms to catch him after years of being let down by his family and each attempted lover, all of whom seem to fail to understand or entertain him.

A man gambles for fortunes both on the tables he counts cards at and subsequently gets banned from, and on finding a fleeting love in a woman just as scatterbrained as he is while seeing the futility in it all before drinking away the truth of life and what he actually wants in a relationship of which he has known for years but has been hurt too deeply to try again.

Just small facets that hide so much more...but these are real people who are trying to deal with living in a world filled with so many others yet the feeling that nobody is there remains.

We disdain and condemn those who show these weaknesses, but we all fear solitude. The race to be with another chafes the pursuit of individuality and freedom, yet if one weighs these things over finding love, love becomes scarce and eventually feels impossible.

It is a lie to say that if one doesn't look for love, love will find them. It cannot be honest to say that one did not want companionship but happened to find it anyway. It is a delusion to think that only those who love themselves find love.

6 October 2016