Chapter 5

I couldn't remember falling asleep, just waking up.

Of course, I could remember. My whole body was shaking and it felt like someone was ripping my skin off my body. I rolled off the bed and hit the next bed with my face.

I couldn't get up. The only thing I saw were hands touching my face and some screaming my name. Some weight was felt on my legs, but I could not see who or what it was. My brain kept logging in and out. My eyes were burning and I tasted blood, but could not tell if it came from my lip or tounge. 

Someone picked me up from the ground, dropped me on something else. I still didn't stop shaking and my limbs felt like they were collapsing.

Then I smelled rosemary and my consciousness returned with a slap in the face. "Lilli. Can you hear me? You need to wake up." 

I opened my eyes a gap wide and smelled something horrible. Corrosive and rotten at the same time. My eyes opened with a jolt and I saw Doctor Begbie waving around with some object in front of my nose.

Without hesitation, she shoved a white doctor's coat, a mouthguard and a blue surgical chasm into my hands. "What..." "No time for questions." She said. "Put this on right now!" 

We were in a small room, full of shelves with some bottles of medication on them. Dr. Begbie pulled me up. "Come on. We don't have time."

My whole body hurt and cracked every time I moved, but I did what I was told and touched things over. Meanwhile, she put her open hair together into a bun. Then she put a badge around my neck.

"I'll explain everything to you when we get out of here, but we can't waste any time. They soon make their rounds." She said, and I nodded as a sign that I had understood. We stepped into the dimly lit hallway, but as my legs failed me, she took over most of my weight.

"Don't say a word!" She admonished me. I kept my gaze fixed on the ground. The PSF we passed simply dodged without asking any questions. Doctor Begbie yelled in the back that she had to take me home and apologized again and again.

I only realized that we had arrived outside when cold drops of water landed on my head. The huge headlights were always left on overnight. Otherwise there were only those in stadiums that I always saw on TV, because I was a huge baseball fan. 

I was perhaps still a little dazed by the pills I had taken, but the crunching gravel and the voice screaming behind me, I didn't imagine. 

"You guys all right?" I felt myself tense and also Doctor Begbie's eyes widened. I tried to stand up, but my legs were still numb. 

A second later, I sat on the ground staring at the feet of a PSF soldier. He knelt before me. 

I heard Dr.Begbie to inhale deeply and then turn to the PSF solider. "Doctor Carter was in very bad shape, so I'd like to take her home. I put the mouthguard on her so she wouldn't infect anyone. Could you help me carry her in the car?"

I heard the the man's voice, but very weak. "But if she's sick..." 

"It's quick, too." I noticed him throwing out a snort and reluctantly lifting me up. I tried to resist the urge to lean my head against his chest. But I had no choice, because I could hardly keep it up. He is not on your side. He's one of them.