Chapter 8

The next week, the course of my day was always the same. Rise, training, eating, training, sleeping. In the meantime I had smaller breaks where I played mainly with Jude and Nico cards. They taught me a lot of new games that I didn't know before.

I was standing under the warm water of the shower and tried to arrange my thoughts until the water jet stuttered. The timer, which is supposed to limit the hot water consumption, switched off and ice-cold water flowed down my body.

We had to say good-bye to Cate yesterday. She had not told us anything specific about her Op, except that she would be sent back undercover to a camp. In my opinion, she'll probably bring out another child, but you can never be sure. 

Jude didn't want to let her go at all, but we all knew she had to go. Vida was sad, too. You immediately realized how much Cate means to her. 

When I came out of the shower, I found a file lid in my locker. Alban explained to me that it contains all the information I need for an Op. I was a little excited, but also nervous, as this would be my first Op. The first of many, I hope.

Just for your eyes, it said on the front. I looked around and saw two of the girls talking about something. As soon as they saw me, they gave me these looks, half of which consisted of fear and half of suspicion, and began to whisper. I just rolled my eyes. 

Op-number: 311269-E

Op-time: 28 April, 2pm

Psi: Phoenix

Supervisor: Stewart

I remember the day they gave me that name. It was the same evening that Alban told me that I would be training with Cole from now on. He and Cate waited for me in his office and gave me the name Phoenix because of my ability. 

Most children have names based on their color. That's why Vida is also called a viper, because this snake is blue and nobody in the league is messing with her. Not even Jarvin, who often claimed not to be afraid of anything. Jude also has his name, even if he is still too young. Because of his ability and kindness, he was called sunshine. 

As far as I understand the op, Cole and I are meeting with an agent who has important information about one of the camps. Our job is to secure and bring back the material. It's a little boring, but I'll get out of this building for that. 

A knock on the lockers frightened me out of my mind. Cole stood next to me, a funny smile surrounded his lips and the next moment I was also pulled into his room. 

On his bed, on which he just made himself comfortable, lay the same file cover that I held in my hand. The only difference was that he probably already had a plan for how the whole thing was going to happen. 

"Looks like we're going on an Op together."

He nodded and continued to read through the documents. I raised an eyebrow. "Do I actually still get any information about what you actually need me for, because actually this Op doesn't sound complicated?"

Cole got up from the bed and came very close to me. I could feel his warmth. Somehow it felt comfortable. Somehow, it gave you a sense of security. I didn't understand what the whole thing was about. If I didn't know what to do, then why should I go in the first place. "No, you don't. I have to go now." He said, after checking his watch. "See you sunshine."