"Even After Death"

72 C.E.

Artemis cut and slashed, her twin hunting knives blurs of silver as she fell one monster after another. The Moon Goddess moved quickly around the battlefield, a whirlwind of speed and destruction. She glances over to the right. Over there was her friend and life companion: Perseus Jackson, son of Poseidon. whereas she was merely like a whirlwind, he really was a whirlwind. There he sat, in the center of his own personal hurricane, blowing away and disintegrating any monster that got too close. Any that did manage to get past the winds, rain, and ice were quickly dispatched by Riptide, Percy's sword and a true arch of destruction, the perfect extension to the man's body.

Artemis, as always, could not help but marvel at the speed and skill of her Guardian. She sent a silent sign of gratitude for recovering such a powerful Guardian, something she must do at least twice a day. The goddess of the Hunt would be at a loss without him. They had practically grown up together after all.

Artemis' actions became thoughtless. After battling so much, one does tend to require less thought during the action. This allowed her mind to drift to the past couple days, and the events which led to her current predicament.

***

For the past couple weeks, Artemis had been allowing a male son of Poseidon to travel with her Hunters. He was an exceptional archer, and could track as well as the best of her Hunters. Artemis found herself drawn to the man, whose name was Orion. She wasn't drawn to him romantically, but more like she was drawn to Perseus, if to a considerably lesser extent.

Percy had been watching the man from the moment Orion entered the Hunter 's camp. It was the role of a Guardian to protect and advise his or her charge, and Percy could tell that Orion was not a man to be trust. Initially however, Percy had no proof of malice towards Artemis or her Hunters. One thing that had made Percy such an effective Guardian was that he ensured that all facts were gathered before actions were made, almost like a child of Athena.

After around a week passed, Percy had noticed a change in Orion's aura. It had taken on a darker feel, and became speckled with red, the color of lust. Orion began to flirt with the Hunters, earning him mostly dislike from the Hunt, and a more watchful eye from Percy. He also decided to was time to alert his mistress of Orion's action.

Artemis listen patiently while Percy explained to her what he had seen and inferred.

"I understand and trust your judgement Percy, but he has done nothing that I have seen to cause me to distrust him in any way." She answers calmly.

Percy looks hesitant, "Milady, it is my responsibility as a Guardian to report to my mistress when I believe that her well-being may be in danger. I have laid down all of the information I know on the situation. I will support your decision."

Artemis laughs softly, "Come now Percy, have I not told you to relax. You don't need to be so formal. We are friends." His throat catches on the word friends, but she continues, "I shall allow Orion to remain with us throughout the winter. But if he does anything to make you doubt his honesty, you have my support in dealing with any situation however you see fit."

Percy nods, "Thank you for taking my suggestions into consideration, Artemis. I shall be going now." He stands up and leaves.

A few days later, Artemis is moving quickly through the woods, towards a cry of pain. Artemis enters a small clearing, completely blocked from view by the tree. When she gets there, the sight that greets the maiden goddess' eyes leaves her speechless.

Lying on the ground, staring up in wide-eyed fear, is one of Artemis's Hunters. She is older, but still a new recruit. Her name was Catania. Catania was on the ground, half naked, crying tears in silence. Her shirt was shredded apart completely, leaving the top of her body bare. The Hunter's pants were destroyed from the knee down, leaving little privacy for the girl.