Chronicles of N&W part13

Nico's POV

Will's eyes were unfocused from exhaustion. His usual shine was dulled, but he still smiled at me like I was the brightest star in the sky.

"My turn to be a doctor. Go get some rest," I ordered, laughing a little at the expression of defiance on his face.

"But—"

"No cuts, no buts, no coconuts," I interrupted, determined to prove that karma really was a bitch. I led him into my cabin, where there was no one to bother him. He was asleep in seconds, his features growing serene. I watched him for a moment, and then decided to end the stories and rumors surrounding my disappearance.

Everyone seemed to be in their cabins, as no one had been there to notice when we had appeared in the middle of the grassy area. I looked around, listening carefully, until I heard someone yelling in the Big House. Hazel's voice was muted from the distance, but still discernible.

"...And now Will's gone, it can't be a coincidence! He obviously went to help him, although only Hades knows how! We need to find a way to save Nico!" She argued passionately, her tone daring anyone to contradict her. Preparing for my sister's wrath, I walked in, allowing the door to loudly creak shut behind me. All of the head counselors turned to stare at me, including Reyna and Frank, before Hazel practically tackled me.

"I didn't return to be suffocated!" I managed, biting back a grin. "No doubt you're a daughter of Pluto, you're hugging the life outta me!"

"How are you okay?" She demanded, glaring at me.

"Calm down…" I attempted to soothe her.

"Explain." Hazel interrupted sharply. Wow, she's beyond pissed. Not that I blame her.

"Excuse me? I didn't do anything wrong!" I shot back. My gaze landed on the Hephaestus counselor, who was shaking with suppressed giggles. "Valdez, I will rip your guts out and feed them to Cerberus." He made the sound of a dying mouse and backed away. "Anyways, Will healed me. I'm fine now."

"Will? Where is he?"

"He's sleeping. Practically worked himself to the bone, which is entirely unsurprising."

That was when everyone else exploded into motion. I was surrounded by relieved shouts and attempted high fives. "Di Angelo!" "You're not dead!" "Missed ya, man!"

"Okay, no need to invade the personal bubble." I shadow traveled to the opposite side of the room, holding up my hands in mock surrender.

"Sorry." Reyna paused, wordlessly asking for permission. I nodded, and she pulled me into a hug, practically breaking my spine in the process. "You seem strangely upbeat, all things considered."

"It may possibly because I'm miraculously okay." I replied wryly.

"So what really happened? Did you just go nuts?" Leo asked with his trademark lack of tact. At least some things would never change.

"Yeah, Hazel was a bit vague." Jason added.

"Pretty much." No details needed, right?