Chapter 7

Venessa's POV

I don't think I have ever been as happy as I am now. Asriel is leaving to our fief for tree years and I don't have to see him during that time. I don't really understand why I hate him so much, something about him just makes me want to hide and run away but I'm not weak so I can't do that.

"Nessa!", my older brother Elwin calls me. He rarely takes the initiative to talk to me nowadays  so this makes me happy.

"What is it El?" I ask him while waiting for him to catch up to me. 

"Alaric is coming to visit today and I was wondering if you wanted to have tea with us", he asks me. Elwin looks so happy every time his highness comes to visit but he always pretends like it's a no big deal. I just wish he would be more honest with himself.

"Of course! Tell Dallan to inform me when he arrives", I answer him while smiling. Elwin nods happily before running to tell the maids to get ready.

I stand there looking at him running off. Elwin only shows this cute and excited puppy like face when he is either talking about or talking with his highness Alaric. It makes me a bit sad knowing that he is not like that with me but I can live with it as long as Elwin is happy.

*** two hours later

"His highness has arrived", our butler Dallan informs me. I was just sitting in our rose garden reading a romance book. The book was about two people from very different backgrounds falling madly in love but being unable to be together because of the pressure of their families. I think those stories are always quite stupid and would never happen in real life but they are popular right now and I have to keep up with trends.

"Show me the way", I tell Dallan while I close my book. We walk towards our living room where both Elwin and Alaric are waiting. They are chatting happily about something and I wish I could just watch them but I can't.

"Hello your highness", I bow and greet him.

"You don't have to bow like that Nessa", he smiles and says. We all have known each other since we were little kids. We met at a banquet when I was four years old. They are only a year older than me so we get along well despite our differences.

We have tea and talk about things unrelated to politics and our studies for hours. We have an agreement that we never talk about those things when it's just the three of us. These are the only times when we can remove our masks and show our true feelings.

"It was fun talking with you", Alaric smiles before stepping into his carriage. We wave at it until we can't see it anymore.

Elwin always looks like he is about to cry when Alaric leaves but never says anything. It's the only thing I hate about those two, why can't they just be honest.

We walk back home in complete silence. I take Elwin's hand in mine and he stops for a second before continuing walking. Why can't he just be honest.

"Your parents wish to see you", Dallan informs us when we get inside. I nod at him though inside I'm feeling a bit conflicted. They just told us about Asriel leaving so what do they want now.

Dallan led us into our father's study where our parents were waiting. They were smiling but I could tell something was going on because the room was a mess. Papers on the floor and broken things everywhere.

"Um.. honey", mother started speaking but was interrupted by father.

"You are getting engaged to his highness prince Alaric", he said quickly before mother could stop him.

I felt Elwin squeeze my hand a I looked at his face. He tried to keep a poker face but his lip was quivering and his eyes were starting to water. He looks heartbroken.

I didn't know what to say. I understand that most nobles get engaged before they turn ten but I never thought that my parents who speak about true love all the time would make me get engaged to someone for the benefit. 

"You have known each other for a long time and your statuses match so we thought it would be perfect", father continues before I could say anything.

"B-but we aren't like that. I have always thought of him as a brother", I tell them.

Mother stands up and lets go of father's hand. "We know honey but we feel like he could give you the future you deserve", mother says through gritted teeth. I can tell she doesn't want to force me but this is just too much right now. 

I run away and drag Elwin with me. He is still in shock about to cry. I take us to our secret base that only we know about. 

I hug Elwin and pat his head until everything that just happened starts to sink in to him. After, what feels like an hour, Elwin starts to sob.

"I-I k-know he has t-to get engaged to someone but why s-so soon", he says between his sobs. I keep patting his head and wait for him to continue.

"If it's you, we can continue meeting but I still can't...", he says so quietly that I almost couldn't hear him.

"Shh, I know", I try to comfort him. Times like these I feel like I'm the older one of us but I don't really mind it. I'm just happy he is finally letting his tears fall.

We stay like this for hours. Sometimes I hear maids yelling our names to find us but I ignore them. We both know deep down that this is the best option but it's still difficult to accept. If I get engaged to him, other girls won't be able to approach him, and he and my brother can meet more often, but...

Elwin knows that things can't be this way forever but he is not ready to let go yet. Elwin has always been like this, keeping his feelings inside and not showing  his pain. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be to smile and pretend everything is normal while the person you love, but can never have, is right next to you.

*** the next day

"I'll accept the engagement", I smile and say to father. He looks a bit surprised because of how fast I changed my mind but nods regardless.

"I'll let them know", he says and I leave his study. Elwin is waiting for me outside of it.

"He didn't question you about it?" he asks as we walk hand in hand towards the rose garden.

"He didn't", I answer him. We both smile happily as we think about our perfect agreement.

'I will get engaged to him and you'll try to get him to fall in love with you for the next eight years before we reach adulthood. If it doesn't work, I'll get married to him and you'll become his right-hand man, and then we'll live our lives happily together, always.'

What did you all think about this chapter. I really wanted to make a side story that is happening at the same time as the main story. It also shows Asriel's sibling's side a bit more.

~AzureAngel