Chapter 8

3 years later

Asriel's POV 

"It's been awhile since I last sat in a carriage for this long", I said to the maid opening the carriage door. She was shivering and didn't answer me. I looked at her but she kept her head down so I wasn't able to look her in the eyes. Just when I was about to raise her head with my hand, I heard someone call me.

"It's been awhile brother", the feminine voice that held a bit of disgust stopped me. I turned my head towards it and there she was, Venessa.

"Yes, indeed", I smiled and answered her. I could see her eyes twitch as she also smiled at me. We stayed that way, both smiling, until another voice stopped our smile off.

"Why don't you two follow me inside", Dallan said surprising us. It makes me annoyed how I didn't notice his presence at all but I don't let it show on my face.

Dallan lead us inside where father and mother were waiting. Brother wasn't here because he had started his first year at Alcaria's light. Alcaria's light is an academy most nobles send their children to. It has two divisions, a lower and a higher division. Children start the lower one when they turn thirteen and go there until they turn sixteen, and then move to the higher division when they are sixteen and study there until they turn eighteen. Both are divided to three based on the student's age, so first-years, second-years and third-years. (I don't know how to explain how school works (ーー;))

Mother gave me a bone crushing hug when she saw me. I let her hug me since this is the first time we saw each other in three years. Sure, we sent letters back and fort every week but I understand her feelings.

"Nice to see you too mother", I said to her when she finally let me go. Her eyes were red and watery as she kept trying to keep her tears in.

Father gave me a hug as well but his was gentler so I didn't feel like I was being crushed. He went to comfort mother after the hug, completely forgetting my existence. I got this feeling of déjà-vu when I watched them but it didn't last for long because Venessa clapped her hands twice to signal that we were still here.

"Can we go now? I have a tea party to go to this afternoon", she said still smiling. Mother's cheeks reddened and father looked embarrassed because they were in their own world a moment ago.

"Cough, of course you can", he said after he got his expression under control. Venessa nodded and left the room as fast as she could, almost like she was running away. Her strange behavior made me curious. 

"What type of magic does Venessa have?", I asked father. He seemed surprised by my sudden interest. I can't blame him though since I don't usually pay much attention to my family members or to anyone.

"She has water and ice magic and her potential is great but slightly worse than your brother's", he said. I stared at him silently for some time before turning around and leaving my parents to have some alone time together.

It's not because of her magic, so what is it. I think as I follow after her. She has never been the type of person who could keep things from her parents and I don't think she could have changed so much in three years.

I try to keep up with her while simultaneously trying not to be noticed, but she left earlier than I so her lead is too big. I could just go to the garden where we usually host tea parties or to her room, but that would be too boring. Having to stay quiet and pretend to be normal for so long has made me impatient for some action, and what would be more fun than finding out your sister's secret and using it to blackmail her.

During my time at the fief, I spent a lot of my time practicing magic, so now I'm able to sense the magic in the air as long as I know what element I'm looking for. Thanks to father, I now know that Venessa has ice and water magic, so finding her should be fairly easy.

I close my eyes and concentrate as hard as I can on the water and ice elements around me. First, everything is dark but two different colors of blue start to form a path slowly. The path is a bit hazy since Venessa wasn't actually using magic but it's still enough for me to locate her.

I open my eyes and start running towards Venessa, not forgetting to stay hidden from other people. What surprised me is that she got into a carriage that didn't have our family crest. Usually nobles like to show their status whenever they can, even when they travel somewhere, and she said she was going to a tea party so it would be more logical if she used our family's carriage. This is getting more and more interesting.

"Follow that carriage", I tell to the driver of the carriage I used to get home as I get inside of it. The driver doesn't ask any questions and follows my instructions. He was too chatty on our drive here so I lightly warned him then so now he knows not to talk too much.

We follow behind her while keeping a distance so we wouldn't seem suspicious. After what feels like hours, her carriage stops and she steps out. She is wearing a cape and hiding her light blue hair under its hood. She is most likely doing it to not stand out as much as she usually does.

I also get out of my carriage, and after that I hide behind a building to avoid being noticed. It was my oversight to not bring a disguise but it's too late to go back now.

Venessa looks around cautiously and goes into a small cafe. I'm not sure whether or not I should go in since it would be easy to notice me in such a small space, and I don't think Venessa would buy any excuse that I could come up with as to why I was following her. But stopping now when I'm so close to finding out what is going on would be stupid.

Well, it's not like I'm going to be killed if she finds out.

What do you think Venessa is hiding? (^∇^)

~AzureAngel