Chapter 10

Asriel's uncle is in the picture. Ignore the cross.

2 years ago

It's been a year since I came here and nothing too exciting has happened. I spend my time practicing magic and fief management. My uncle is strict and demands perfection but I don't mind it because I strive for perfection in my studies too.

"You have a visitor", a maid told me through my room's door. Strangely everyone except for my uncle is afraid of me. I don't recall doing anything to scare them though, well maybe I did and just didn't care enough to remember.

"I'm coming", I answer her and close the book I was reading. I look at myself in the mirror and fix my slightly crooked collar before opening the door and telling her to show me the way. She starts walking slowly somewhere while looking down to avoid my eyes.

I have noticed lately that people often avoid looking at my eyes. At first, I thought they were just scared of me but even my uncle does it which means it must be something more. I'm not blind, I know my eyes are different from the rest of my family but that's no reason to avoid looking at them. Gee, at times like this I really miss my birdie who looked at me straight in the eyes.

I follow the maid until we reach the garden. She tells me to wait here for the person to arrive and leaves way faster than she was walking before. I sit down on a bench next to a fountain and a magnolia tree. I come here often at night to practice magic but seeing this place during the day is also quite nice. A voice filled with amusement interrupts my thoughts, not that I mind after realizing who the voice belonged to.

"I promised to come see you again didn't I, master", my birdie, who I have longed a year for, says with a smirk. For the first time ever, I feel something. My chest burns sightly and my face feels wet. I'm not too familiar with emotions so I can't say for sure whether this thing I'm feeling right now is rage, happiness or relief. No words come out of my mouth no matter how hard I try. I just sit there and stare at him speechlessly.

His smirk disappears from his face and he runs towards me. He takes my body into his arms and hugs me tightly. He gently pats my head like I did to him a year ago. After a while, he lifts my chin up with his left hand and dries my face with his right hand. He waits for me to speak without saying anything.

"Why did you run away from me?" I asked him, now hugging him back tighter so he won't be able to escape again. 

"Someone came to get me", he answered quietly. He seemed oddly accepting of my desire to own him. I hope I don't have to tie him up this time.

"You know I won't let you leave again, right?" I said to him holding him even tighter than before.

"You kept the feather I gave you", he said ignoring my earlier question. I raised my head and looked into his eyes while digging the feather he was talking about from my pocket. I tried to give it back to him, not breaking our eye contact for a second. He didn't take it from me though.

"It's for finding you. Wherever you are, I will find you as long as you have it with you", he smiled and whispered into my ear. I didn't end up breaking his legs or locking him in a cage.

Back to present 

Maids were running around the estate like every time one of us had a magic assessment though this time was special because it was my turn. I wasn't the oldest son so the pope wasn't going to do it personally, which I'm grateful for, but it was still a big deal. I had to do maybe fifteen fittings before and spent today morning like a doll. Hair, jewelry, clothes and other things like that.

 Hair, jewelry, clothes and other things like that

His clothes and hair look like that.

"Are you ready, young master?" Dallan asks me with a impatient look on his face. Seriously, how does no one notice that.

"Yes, I'm ready", I answer him as I follow him to the carriage where everyone except my brother is waiting for me. I step in and the carriage leaves towards the church where the big moment, which will determine my whole future, will happen. Well, it won't determine my future though.

The ride doesn't take that long because it's held at the nearest church from our home, not the same one that my brother's was held. This church is a bit smaller but still quite big, maybe because of the money they get from parents wishing for their children a better future.

Everything is going as usual, children are standing in a line waiting for their turn and their families are watching them while hoping for the best. Almost half of the children here don't have magic and those who do, have very little. There are a few noble children from bigger families (not as big as our's) who have decent magic.

My turn finally comes and I walk up to the crystal ball and put my hand on it. Normally, it would automatically tell you what type of magic you have and how strong it is but I'm a bit special. Instead of letting it do its job, I control my magic so it shows exactly what I want it to show.

Third person POV 

A bright light shines from the crystal ball, almost blinding everyone present. It's white with some golden sparkles mixed into it. A light so bright, it hides the darkness within it. 

"It's the first light mage born in a hundred years!!" a priest yells excitedly. He runs off to somewhere leaving the families there confused. 

A child with white hair and red eyes lifts his hand from the crystal ball making the bright light disappear like it never even existed. People are whispering about the boy who just ignores them and walks to his family. 

"Can we leave now?" he asks from his father who stares at him with wide eyes and a silly grin. His sister looks at him with a blank stare and his mother is crying tears of joy. The boy waits for an answer without any visible emotion on his adorable face.

"Okay..." his father finally manages to answer and they leave the church. 

The word of him had already reached every influential person you could think of by the time they reached their home. Easy to say that the children still waiting for their magic assessment, never got theirs.

A boy with pitch black hair and a pair of different colored eyes had also heard of this incident. His source though was the person who caused all of this to happen. He looked at the black writing that appeared on his hand and smiled brightly. It would have been a beautiful sight if only his eyes didn't shine such a creepy light.

Hi!! 

I hope you liked this chapter. I had a lot of fun writing it now that my summer break began, yay!! What did you think about how Zander and Asriel met again? Btw, I'm writing another story at the same time so if you like Hunter x Hunter it might be for you. Byee :))

~AzureAngel