Epilogue ~ Homebound

Dedicated to those who fought for love, like Scorpius, and gave that love a second and third chance, like Rose.

And to those who just love with everything they have, which Rose and Scorpius can't help but do.

Epilogue

Homebound

       A small house lay at the bottom of a sleepy hill, the grassy path going up leading to the top of a long cliff. Below it the sea was gentle and smooth, gently lapping the pebble beach; it was still a little dark out when Rose Weasley woke, leaving her husband in bed alone. She liked this early morning time, when the sky was violet and pink, the sun barely gracing the earth. Both Rose’s children had been born at this time, and it was calming thinking of how most were still asleep as the new day crept up on them.

Standing in the doorway, Rose crossed her arms tightly around herself, wrapping her housecoat tighter around her. Her long red hair blew back gently from her shoulders, brown blue eyes calm as the sea as they watched the sun rise over the edge of the cliff, were the sea lay hidden. She didn’t jump when arms wrapped around her waist, soft lips kissing her neck.

“Morning,” Scorpius whispered.

Turning in his arms, Rose kissed him like she had been since that first time in the woods. “Hello,” she whispered, leaning her forehead against his. “Are the kids up?”

“I think Jasper’s been up all night; he’s practically buzzing with excitement.”

Smiling at the thought, Rose peeped around his shoulder to see her son sitting on the landing between the ground and first floor, peering through the railings. “Morning Mum!” he cried, flying down the stairs and hugging her around the waist; he looked up at her, white-blonde curls bouncing. He had Rose’s eyes, too; blue flecked with copper brown. “Is it time to go yet?”

Scorpius laughed and ruffled his son’s hair “No, not yet bud. It’s six in the morning, for Merlin’s sake!”

“Well we don’t want to be late!” he said, crossing his arms and pouting. “Mum always says-”

“Don’t I know what Mum says,” herding Jasper into the kitchen, Rose following; he started pulling out the ingredients for pancakes. “You’re to much like your Mum sometimes, Jazz; Hogwarts will love you.”

“Really?” Jasper’s face lit up as he wriggled into the breakfast nook.

“Of course honey,” said Rose, kissing the top of his head “It’s impossible not to love you.”

“You’re my Mum, you have to say that.” He pointed out, now bouncing up and down in his seat.

“Why you little-” laughing, Rose tickled her son under the chin, a wave of sadness coming over her as she realized she wouldn’t hear that wonderful laugh for four months. She hadn’t spent more than a few days away from Jasper in his life, and now she had to let him go.

“Rose?” Scorpius’ voice reached her through the cloud of panic “Red, I know what you’re thinking; no, we can’t home school Jasper.”

“What about Dawn?” she whispered, touching her face in disbelief. Jasper was oblivious, already digging into his pancakes.

“No, not her either.”

“But…” Rose felt tears prickle, but pushed them away “I don’t want my babies to grow up, Scorp.”

Pulling her into a hug, Scorpius rested his chin on the top of her head; her red curls were wild, and he smoothed them down a bit. He watched Jasper, wondering how his son had grown up so fast; he looked so much like Rose, besides the white blonde hair he’d inherited from himself…right down to the dash of freckles across his nose. “I’m afraid they have to, love. But they’ll always be ours.”