Twenty One

ZARA

My phone had been switched off since the day at the cinema. Nepa refused to supply power, and my mother refused to buy fuel.

"It's expensive." She lamented. Two days gone and we were unable to charge our phones, the refrigerator had turned hot, the soup mom cooked had soured, so we resorted to eating rice, beans, macaroni.

Ije and I busied ourselves with games like ludo and chess. She beat me every singe time. On the second day, when Nepa refused to give us light, we were seated outside in the evening, playing chess. My mom has just returned from work and was having her bath.
"Ije, no. Not that pun."
She laughed, knowing that she played the right thing. I tittered. She was going to beat me again.

There was a knock on the gate. One jerked her head while she made her play. "Check who it is."

I complied. I rose from the floor and made my way over to the gate. Just as mum has thought us, for security purposes, I pulled at the small compartment and looked out. "Yes?"

There was a man standing there. He had grey hair and beards. But when he saw me, his lips stretched in a smile. "Zara."

I froze. My eyes widened and a scream escaped my lips. I shut the compartment and fell to the floor, terrified. I was shaking visibly.

"It could not be... no..."

I heard footsteps behind me. Ije ran up to me, her eyes wide. "What is it?"

I shook my head as I stared at her. "The gate..."

She nodded. "Eh hen..."

"Gate... check the gate."

The compartment pulled open his face came again. "Ije Oma, open the door!"

I screamed again.

Ijeoma sighed and glared at him. "You are scaring her. Kosi asked you never to come back."

She spoke to him so casually, as though it was normal to see our dead father standing before us, acting as though he had not been buried seven years ago.

"My contacts say that Kosi is out of the country."

Footsteps came from behind again. I looked up to see my mom running towards us. She was beside me immediately. "What happened to her? Is she injured?"

"Mommy, Daddy is outside! Daddy!"

She sighed. Her shoulders sagged. "What is he doing here?"

"What do you mean? He is dead! What is he even doing alive?" I asked. My eyes darted around, seeking an answer.

Ije would not look at me. My mother would not as well. So I was left to avert my gazes, seeking an answer.

"Open the gate, let's talk, Oge."

My mom stood up. To me, she said. "Up, inside."

"Mommy what's going on? What happened? Why is daddy here? And why does everyone see this as normal except me?"

"Zara -"

"Just tell me!" I cried. I was confused. I was in the dark.

"Never you raise your voice at me!" My mom snapped. I flinched. Tears welled up in my eyes. I rose and ran inside, the tears blurring my step. Everything went black suddenly and I found myself falling to the ground, my knees bruising. I screamed.