𝐝𝐨𝐜𝐞

L I A R

L I A R.
act 1, scene 12

"WERE YOU ANGRY that Marina was pregnant?"

The Inspector had interviewed countless guilty people in her time, so she knew exactly how to strike a nerve and send all their secrets tumbling out into the open.

"No." Inés shook her head softly. "I wasn't angry. I was just upset because I thought she was smarter than that."

The Inspector bit her lip and sighed, trying her best to conceal how frustrated she was. She knew Inés was hiding something, but she couldn't figure out just what it was.

"But that wasn't the only reason it upset you, was it?"

The Inspector was taking a stab in the dark with her question, but when Inés looked up with wide eyes, she knew she was one step closer to finding out the truth.

──── T W O MONTHS EARLIER

THE PALPABLE TENSION in the room told Inés she wasn't wanted

The heavy breathing of all four teens, along with the clinking of Marina's spoon as she stirred her tea, was all that filled the silence between them, for no one dared to say a word.

"I guess I'd better leave you guys to talk." Inés spoke calmly, though as soon as she was eventually excused, she knew she would break down. She'd tried so hard to keep herself together as she drove the three of them back from the hospital, and she could only put up with it for so much longer.

Marina smiled up at the older girl. She wasn't as sceptic all of her kindness anymore, so she rather appreciated Inés' presence. "You can stay if you want."

"I have some stupid piece to rehearse for when the ambassador visits." Inés nodded. It broke her heart to have to leave Marina like this, but she desperately needed to explain things to Samu. "I'll see you in school if you decide to come."

Inés bent over to kiss the top of Marina's head, holing her to her side for a brief moment, before picking up her bag and heading towards the door. She smiled gently at Samuel, who was evidently still shocked by the news.