FIFTY

August 6, 1945

Alice guessed they didn't know she was standing at the edge of the lake, beneath the trees. Many of the enlisted men had been given the day off, and Tab had suggested they go down to the water. Her smile never died as she watched Tab, George, Lieb, Alley, More, Babe, Garcia, Hashey, Perconte, and Spina splashing around in the lake. They were loud. Not that it surprised her.

Gene sat on the dock, watching them with a smile. Johnny and Bull were heckling the others from the side of the lake. They threw rocks out, and she couldn't decide if they were trying to hit the men, or trying to skip the stones.

When she'd walked down to swim, she hadn't expected the spectacle she found. But she couldn't complain. At least they were having fun. Still, the fact that they'd taken over her favorite swimming spot was slightly annoying, especially considering she had gotten into clothes for a swim already. Torn between joining them, and walking further along the lake to a quieter spot, she hesitated.

On the one hand, she saw no issue swimming with the guys. She'd lived with them for three years. It was more that she didn't want to interrupt their fun. They had a right to their own brand of craziness without her around. But on the other, the dock was the closest and least secluded area around the lake, and the spot thus felt safer than anywhere deeper into the woods.

In the end, the decision was made for her as Talbert caught sight of her through the trees. He stood up in the water and grinned. "Enjoying the view, Alice?"

Had she not lived with them in close quarters for three years, she'd have blushed at the insinuation. But as they all turned her way she just shook her head. She wasn't blind; most of them were shirtless and they looked damn good. But she rolled her eyes and moved down the path to where it finally joined up with the dock.

"You all seem to be having fun," she commented, moving onto the dock. With a smile, she looked out where More, Alley, and Liebgott had started racing each other. Then she turned back to the men closer. "Enjoying a day without training?"

"Yeah, about time, right," joked Babe.

She settled down on the dock next to Gene. The warm stone warmed her. George and Perco were arguing over something, Les and Tony making a scene further down. But Talbert, Babe, and Spina just hovered closer to the dock.

She glanced at them. "How's the water?"

"You getting in?" Spina asked.

"Depends on the water!"

Alice didn't notice that George and Perco had moved over on her right. So when a splash hit her in the face she shrieked. The entire group of men started downright cackling. All except Gene, who looked almost as irritated as she did. Alice noticed the water dripping from the side of his face as well.

"How's the water?" George asked.

She narrowed her eyes. Standing up, Alice set her towel down and took off her boots. Her silence made those closer to her quiet down, except for George who kept giggling. From the side, Johnny heckled George, saying he was in for trouble.

"Gene," she said.

"Yeah?"

"Don't let anyone take my towel."

He chuckled. Wasting no more time, Alice leapt into the water. Even at midday in the warmth of the sun, the water still had a chill. She shivered briefly before sending a large splash straight at George's head.

"She got you pretty good, George."

Alice froze. In fact, they all froze. She whipped around to find the source of the voice. She recognized it. They all recognized it. With a grin, she found him: light blonde hair, blue eyes, and a million dollar smile.