7

Isabella

We're about two hours away and it's pouring outside. My hand is still on his. His skin is soft compared to the roughness of the world.

"I always loved it when it stormed in Florida."

"I bet they were cool to watch."

"Yeah," I smile, "They were wild."

"I've always loved storms. They calmed me."

"I get that," I agree. A while later, we come across some scattered houses. Colby slows down and pulls over.

"You want to check it out?"

"Sure," I nod. We get out of the car and rush up to the porch. Colby knocks on the door and draws his gun. There's no answer. Nodding, he kicks open the door. We walk in and check the rooms. There are five rooms and a pull-out couch in the living room. The house looks untouched. "This should be good for a few days."

"Yeah, do you want to go get them and I'll keep looking," he suggests. Nodding, I run back out to the truck and open the back. Everyone looks my way.

"We found a house," is all I have to say for them to start coming out of the truck. Closing the door, I follow them inside. Jake flips the switch and the lights flicker on.

"They have a generator," Sam breaths thankfully.

"Or the power hasn't been shut off yet," I say. We all go into the living room and sit in the chairs.

"We need to do room pairings. There are five rooms, a pull-out couch, and ten of us. One of the rooms has a twin bed," Colby explains.

"I'll take the couch," Kevin offers. Colby nods.

"Tara and I can room together," Jake explains. 

"Devyn and I can," Corey pipes up.

"Kat and I," Sam adds in.

"I'll take the twin," Mike offers.

"That leaves you two," Sam points out, gesturing to Colby and me. Colby's eyes meet mine.

"I'm fine if you're fine with it," he says. I nod, giving him my answer. Everyone shares a look with each other. They laugh before disappearing into their rooms, leaving me and Colby in the living room. "Well, they couldn't have made that any more awkward."

"I thought it was cute."

"Yeah, yeah," he blushes. Smiling, I poke his stomach.

"Is the Colby Brock blushing?" I tease.

"I will make you sleep on the floor," he fires back.

"No, you won't." We walk into the only room that hasn't been claimed yet. It's a decently sized room with a queen bed in the middle.

"I'll take the floor," he offers. 

"You don't have to. I'm fine with sleeping on the floor."

"No, no," he stammers. "It's fine."

"Okay, I'm gonna shower," I excuse. He nods and goes out into the living room. Quickly, I go into the bathroom and get undressed. While I shower, I think about this past couple of weeks. It's been hard but we've made it far. We're close to Sacramento and maybe a refugee camp.

Once I'm done in the shower, I get out and dry myself off with a towel. I slip on a bra and underwear and then a tank top and some leggings. Once I'm dressed, I begin drying my hair with the towel. 

"Hey," Colby greets when he walks in.

"Hi," I smile back.

"How was the water?" He asks.