9

Isabella

Sensitive material ahead.

When I wake up, I'm laying on a bed. Slowly, my eyes open and I see blinding lights above me.

"You're awake," a male voice says. It's not Colby's. Looking over, I see a man with jet black hair that's pulled back into a bun. His jaw is covered in stubble and his lips are thin.

"Where am I? Who are you?" I ask, sitting up. Looking down, I see I'm in a hospital gown.

"You're in the Leestown Hospital," he grins. "My name is Michael."

"Did you undress me?" I question.

"You were in a car crash," he dodges my question.

"Yeah, I remember that," I grit. "Did you undress me?"

"No," he answers. Some sort of relief fills me. "But I watched."

"Are you fucking insane?" I shout, feeling too exposed. Quickly, I stand and walk over to him.

"No, it's part of the protocol, we do it to everyone," he explains. My stomach churns.

"Where's the guy I was in the car with?" I demand, realizing Colby wasn't in the room.

"He's in another room."

"I want to see him," I demand again. He shows no emotion.

"You're not allowed," he replies blandly. It's almost like he's watching an episode of a show he's seen far too many times.

"The hell I am."

"Watch your language," he grits.

"Fuck you," I taunt slowly. He raises his hand and brings it down on my cheek. My head snaps to the side and there's a burning sensation spreading through my cheek.

"Don't disrespect me again," he hisses.

"Or what?" I reply with just as much fire. He takes a deep breath, composing himself, before smiling softly.

"You have a lot to learn about this place, why don't I show you around?"

"You're a fucking psychopath," I conclude. He cocks his head at me and it sends a shiver down my spine. 

"There's something we need to show you."

"We?" I question. As if on queue, two big men come through the door and grab my arms. Their grip is harsh and digs into my skin. They pull me out of the room and down a white hallway. Michael leads the way. The more I struggle against them, the tighter their grip gets. We stop in front of a plaque.

"This is 'The Process'," Michael introduces. The writing is written in a language I can't understand. "You are special, Bella."

"How the hell do you know my name?"

"You will make this place better. Every person who has gone on the journey you're about to go on has found a new life."

"A new life?" Fear is running through my veins.

"Yes," he smiles as if it's some big accomplishment.

"Then why haven't you gone on this journey yet?"

"Only women can go." That makes me freeze. He turns and faces the board. "If a woman enters the holy land, she is free to be part of the journey. Her looks will be adjusted accordingly for bidding day. Until then, she must be fed, cleaned, and kept away from all temptations to get rid of her virtue. Once she is passed on, they may handle her however they please."

"What the fuck?" I question. "You're selling women?"

"It's not how it sounds," he chuckles.

"Yes, it is exactly how it sounds." At this point, I want to find Colby and get the hell out of here. "Where is he?"

"Who?" He acts clueless. 

"The guy who was in the car with me."

"Away. He'll tempt you."

"Where is he?" My voice breaks. I'm trying so hard not to cry.

"He's in a separate part of the camp."

"What's going to happen to him?" I whisper.

"He's going to work here."

"Please," I beg. "Please, let us go."

"We can't do that, Bella. We're going to have to change that name as well. Your new name is... Judith."

"No," I fight.

"You came at a good time, Judith. Bidding day is in five days."

"What- what happens if they don't get picked?" There has to be some way to get out of here. First, I need to find Colby.

"They serve the people here," he smiles. Something lies deep within his eyes. It's hard to point out but it terrifies me.

"Do you do this to all women?"

"No, there's a certain look and age range you have to be in. You happen to fit that mold perfectly." He walks up to me and grabs my jaw. My body flinches away, remembering how he hit me earlier. He grabs my jaw with more aggression this time. "Nice lips, small nose, pretty eyes. Your body is just what they're looking for. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if they didn't take you. You could be of great use here."

"You're all disgusting," I spit. 

"Your attitude is going to need to change," he mumbles. "Take her away."

"No!" I shout. The men hold me tight as I begin fighting. They take me to a room and throw me on the floor. The door slams and locks behind me. When I look up, I'm in a room with about five other girls. My breath shakes. They all look tired and worn out and beaten. Bruises cover their dirty skin. Some of the girls are dark and have very curly hair. Others are lighter with pin-straight hair.

"Welcome," one rasps softly. 

"How long have you all been here?" I ask her softly. The other girls seem too tired to talk. They have no light in their eyes. They've lost hope.

"Some of us have been here for over a month," she explains. Carefully, I scoot over to her. She's small and has fair skin. Her hair is red and poorly cut to her shoulders. "Some for just a few weeks. You came at a good time. Bidding day is in a few days."

"Do you know what they're doing?" I whisper.

"Yeah, we all know. There's nothing we can do about it. Are you a natural brunette?" My eyebrows furrow before I grab my hair. It's cut to my shoulders and brown.

"They dyed my hair," I whisper.

"They do that sometimes," another girl pipes in. "I was a blonde."

"I am blonde," I whisper in complete shock. Her looks will be adjusted accordingly for bidding day. "Do you want to be here?"

"No, none of us do. We were all taken. Some were taken from the gas station and some from the stores."

"What about the houses?" I ask, thinking of Kat, Devyn, and Tara.

"That's too far. The gas station is only about five minutes away. Where'd they take you from?"

"A wreck."

"That's odd," she admits. "I thought they only took from the stations."

"Were you with anyone?" Someone asks.

"Y-yeah."

"That's why," the girl in front of me explains.

"What's your name?"

"Lilly."

"Your real name?" I clarify.

"No, my real name is April. I came here with someone too. My boyfriend of three years."

"Where do they put them?"

"We don't know," she sighs. If I had known that that was the last time I'd see Colby, I would have kissed him. I would have pulled him in and never let him go.

"We have to get out of here."