Disarray at the Senate

And she was right. Not even 10 minutes into the meeting, petty arguments were breaking out left right and centre. Mina looked at Melanie with an amused look on her face before entering in an argument between two planets from the mid rim who believed that she herself was poisoning their water despite the fact she had never visited their planets.

After another few debates on other matters, Chancellor Palpatine struggled to gain control over the debating states, in order to discuss a pressing matter. After a few minutes, he finally accomplished silence.

"It seems that many of you believe that there is a large amount of corruption and deceit within this gathering, however, I must inform you that there is a team of detectives investigating these allegations and have found nothing to note so far. The reports of their findings have just been sent to you now. If you have anything else to add to this discussion, please come to me individually and we can sort this matter out. Now it is time to cover the matter of education in the mid rim" And with that, the Chancellor sat down as a senator from one of the mid rim planets came forward.

Every now and then she would tune back into the speeches of each planet, agreeing with what they were saying or frowning in disagreement.

By the end of the meeting, her head was pounding. When she stood, her legs wobbled a little. Her feet were aching for a walk.

"Well, that's the end of my entertainment." She observed.

"I know right... you know how I said you were an overthinking earlier... at least you think. I don't understand how half these idiots get into office." Mina laughed.

Melanie chuckled a little before engrossing herself in the datapad that displayed Palpatine's report as they walked back to Mina's office.

"I feel like I need a drink after that" Mina voiced.

"I second that. Do you still have that secret supply under your desk?" Melanie asked hopefully with a wink.

"You read my mind."

Mina pulled out a bottle of something and poured two glasses. She was just about to sit down to begin discussing this afternoon's events when the geonosian archduke, Poggle the lesser, and President Shu Mai of the Commerce Guild walked in.

"Why hello there. How can I help you?" Mina stood up and walked towards them. She glanced back at Melanie apprehensively. 

"Yes hello, wasn't that an interesting meeting." Shu Mai said smiling, sitting down as Mina offered the two a seat. "But that is not why we are here. We have a bit of a proposition for you."

"Now you've got my interest."

"It has come to our attention that the Senate has not been paying enough attention to the mid rim and outer rim issues. As you saw today all they pay attention to is our education schemes and the ability to provide resources. For months now we have been struggling to gain attention from the eyes of the government and now it is clear that it is corrupt."

"Did you not read the report? Chancellor Palpatine cleared away all the allegations. There was no sign of corruption in the report." Melanie frowned and the archduke made a disapproving series of clicks.

Shu Mai continued, "They have blinded us, this report was just a coverup, a ruse to make you believe that all was well. Many of us believe that chancellor Palpatine is the root of this corruption and so we do not believe his said 'report'. Senators from thousands of planets are opening their eyes and discovering that they are done with the republic."

"I totally agree with you here. I feel my patience with the republic running out too... We have suffered at the senate hand and been ignored on many occasions but what has this got to do with me? What role do I play?" Mina replied.