Chapter fifteen

"Blame keeps wounds open. Only forgiveness heals."

------------------------------

•Kyle•

I'm standing on that damned porch again, determined to not leave without an answer this time. I take a deep breath before knocking.

This time she's the one who opens the door. She freezes as our eyes meet, and I try to look calm and unaffected.

"Kyle," she breathes out. "You came back."

Now that I look at her from up close, I notice that she looks twenty years older than the last time I saw her. How can someone age this fast in four years?

"Jeremy told me you came by yesterday looking for me," she says with a hopeful smile, even though her tired eyes are filled with sadness. "I was praying you'd come back again, and here you are."

I came here for a reason, so why the fuck am I suddenly not able to say a word?

"Please, come in." She opens the door wider to let me in.

I remind myself why I'm here as I step into the house. The house that used to be my home. She stays behind me, so I lead myself into the living room.

It's just as I remember it, except for the TV which is a much bigger size now. I sit down on the couch and she sits across from me.

I notice a mini golden retriever laying down on the floor, curled up next to her feet. We never had a dog, my father hated pets. Either he changed his mind after I left home, or she just bought it after his death. When I was young I wished we had a dog. I would've adopted one if it wasn't for Rae's allergy.

"I can't believe you're here." She gives me a shaky smile as her voice gets thick with unshed tears. "I--I'm so glad you're here. I can't tell you how much I missed--"

"I came here for one thing only," I say coldly, looking into her eyes. "I need to know who killed him and why."

She parts her lips and stares at me in shock. I know that was the last thing she expected me to say. She blinks a few times before looking away.

The more time I spend in here the more suffocated I feel. I wish she would just tell me everything so I could get the hell out of here.

"Oh," she finally says.

"Yeah, so tell me everything you know. Everything."

"I don't know anything," she mumbles looking down, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out she's lying.

"Listen," I say sternly, and she looks up in surprise. "This is important to me. I need to find out who those people are and how he got to know them."

"Why?" she asks, a worried look on her face. "I don't see why you would want that information. And it's hard to believe that you-- you would want to avenge--"

"Of course not." I cut her off. "If you think I'd do anything for that man you're insane. But I don't need to explain anything to you. Just tell me what you know and I won't bother you again."

"Look," she begins with a pleading look. "I'd tell you everything if I could, but I can't. I'm sorry."

I give her a blank look, but the fact that she isn't willing to help me out disappoints me more than I'd like to admit. I want to convince her to change her mind but no words come out of my mouth. My pride won't allow that. After all she's done to me I can't just beg her to give me the information no matter how much I need it.

I curl my hands into fists as I stand up. I can't believe I came here and talked to this woman, all for nothing. I shake my head in disappointment as I rush to get out of here.