Chapter 30: Second Guesses

Okay so, for those that have already read the 2nd Book (IHARB) this chapter is going to be very different from the flashback chapter in that book. But as I said last chapter, so much will be changing about this series.

Without further ado, I hope you all enjoy this long chapter!

Chapter 30: Second Guesses

Shadé

Every second, minute, and hour that ticked by was only bringing me closer to the evening. The Royal Family and all their guests looked forward to this joyous evening as it was the commemoration of the King and Queen's marriage of 30 years. I always admired marriages that surpassed 10 years. To devote yourself to the same person year after year was such an admirable characteristic. Considering that so many people in this world, including their own son, lacked the trait of truly being committed to someone. No matter how much you both argued, you still put your pride aside to reconcile with your significant other. No matter how much you may find your feelings to be tempted by someone else, your heart still belonged to your spouse. I used to want that for myself, to be with someone who was devoted to me and only me. But now, after tonight I don't think I even deserve to bask in having a man as devoted to me as the King is to his wife.

I knew what I was getting myself into. Sleeping with an engaged man who was not only unavailable, but he was also the Crowned Prince of the United Kingdom. Every time I think about it, my stomach starts to flutter. But, I didn't care; this is what I wanted and I would never do something that I didn't want to do. I've been on my own for a while now and it was time that I appeased myself despite it being with someone who should be unattainable to me. But maybe that was what drew me in so much to him. He was so unattainable that it unknowingly turned me on. I knew he could put my job on the line and I could be back where I started in London, but I didn't get that instinct that anything unfavorable will happen in the end. I knew he probably won't allow us to go back to the societal relationship between a maid and a prince; which is none. But as he said before, the risk was a thrill and that in itself may cause this to be an ongoing thing, which I will try my hardest to prevent. That risk factor is what really made us attracted to each other anyway, because I'm sure that if I was a normal woman on the streets, he wouldn't even blink once at me. But because I am a foreign maid in this castle, working for his family, he sees it as a very risky challenge. Like Vincent, I may never have the opportunity to do something extraordinary like this again.

Would I be a whore? Or a home wrecker?

My body shivered and my heart started to race at that degrading thought. I couldn't hear anything that was going on around me because my hearing was only succumbed to the rapid drumming in my chest. I really could never get mad if someone called me either of those words because that's exactly what I'd be.

Just for tonight.

I'd be those things, just for tonight.

"Okay, ladies," Gina began authoritatively. "We need all hands on deck tonight to ensure that this anniversary is a success," she announced to all of the maids that were lined up before her. It was 3 hours before doors opened for the Royal Anniversary Celebration. There was an expected attendance of over 3,000 guests. I wasn't even sure if the Ball Room could comfortably hold that many people, but I wouldn't be surprised. They'd been planning for this celebration for months and if anything was to go wrong tonight, Gina didn't want any of us to be responsible for the downfall.

"Folashadé, I want you to also be in charge of serving alcohol to guests every ten minutes," Gina asserted. I nodded in response. "Remember, no more serving after ten. We will not be responsible for guests going home drunk off their asses," she finished, her voice laced with a joking tone at the end. A few of the maids giggled softly.