1: 13 Is My Unlucky Number

The bright sunlight shined on my face. I could hear my mother's humming which mirrored the soft whistle of the bird sitting on a tree branch outside of my bedroom window.

   Just like every other night, my dreams were instantly forgotten. When I like finally opened my heavy eyelids, the first thing I spotted was my clock. 4:30am.

   Why did I always wake up so early? All I wore was a gray cami top and black shorts but I felt like I was baking in an oven.

   Strangely enough, I found out that my window was wide open but I had no memory of opening it last night.

   I sat up on my bed and pulled my hand through my hair. It was a unique greenish-blue color that my father often said reminded him of the salty ocean below Texas because of it's shade and long flowing length.

   I'd been momentarily distracted at the sight of how my hair sparkled in the sunlight, when a dark shadow came over me. This shadow was much too big to be a bird.

   "My Lord," a small boy sat on my windowsill, his cheeky smile scared me all the more.

   I screamed. The noise vibrated through the house for 2 seconds until the boy flew to me at the speed of light and covered my mouth with his thin-fingered, pale hand. His smile became a smirk as I heard my mother's footsteps hurrying up the staircase.

   "Now look what you've done," the boy whispered, his voice soft and his smirk still in place.

   "What happened?" Mother burst through the door at the same time the boy disappeared.

   Not the type to create a ruckus, I lied through my teeth. "Oh, well...It was just a pesky bug...Heh heh..."

   Her brow furrowed. "Are you sure you're okay, honey?"

   Seeing her obviously worried expression, I began to feel guilty. "Yes, I was just about to take a shower."

   "Alright," she sighed and left, shutting the door behind her.

   Only when her receding footsteps disappeared, did I take a look around my room.

   The intruder was sitting on the window ledge as if he'd been there all along.

   "Who are you?" I whispered, stretching. I acted calm, taking comfort at the thought of my heavy, solid-metal bat laying in my closet.

   "I'm Demitri," he sighed. Looking closer, he looked less like a younger elementary school kid and more around the age of 10 or 11.

   "That doesn't explain why you're in my house!" I almost shrieked but successfully lowered my voice.

   In response to my yelling, Demitri bowed on one knee and spoke the strangest words. "I've come for you, My Lord."

   What?!

   "I honestly have no idea what you're talking about...Wrong house?"

   Demitri stared at me, questioning me with his eyes. "You have no memory of the past?"

   "Look you must have mistaken me for somebody else," I said, knowing he wasn't a threat to me. "So please leave."

   "But you-" he began.

   "OR," I emphasized, "I can just call the cops and sue you for breaking and entering."

   We sat in silence for a minute, neither of us smiling.

   I finally got a good look at him. Straight black hair stood up on his relatively cute, baby-faced head. His skin was pale - paler than my alabaster complexion. Hazel, almost gold, eyes stared back at me. He was short, much shorter than I was. Surprisingly, he had longer legs than a normal 5th grader, or even a 6th grader for that matter. He'd be a little heart-breaker in his teen years. I had to admit that if he was just 2 or 3 years older, I'd have gone for him. He sported dark denim jeans and a white long sleeved dress shirt with the sleeves pulled back at his elbows and the collar open.

   "If you haven't noticed, my entrance was the opposite of destructive," Demitri argued, pointing out the clear window.

   "Well who said I gave you permission to to step in my house?" I inguired.

   "Hmph," he pouted and I had to resist the temptation to squeeze his cute cheeks. "Fine, I'll leave."

   "Finally," I said, relief covered my tone.

   "Well, since it's a special day, I'll leave you with something to think about," Demitri crouched, ready to jump out the window.

   "Huh?" I muttered. Special day? And how did he plan to survive jumping outside my window, which was on the 2nd floor?

   He suddenly appeared right in front of me and before I could pull back my body or marvel at his charming looks, Demitri brought my head to his shoulder by pulling on my wrist.

   "Phantomhive," he whispered huskily into my ear.

   "Wha-" I started to speak, alarmed. But he was already gone. The feeling of his cool lips on my forehead remained.

   I glanced at the calendar beside my open window, still in shock at the events that unfolded.

   May 13, 2010. How did he know that today was my 13th birthday? Not that it was special in any way.