KHALID

The palace hummed with anticipation, gearing up for my banquet to mark my return and accomplishments. Amidst the hustle, my focus remained on supervising the temple's construction. Apart from the deposed princess's unsuccessful attempts to converse with me, she seemed to be adapting to her duties. However, the dynamics between her and Rashidi appeared perplexing to me. Not that I care much – I've got more important things to focus on than wondering about her and who she has spent her time with.

Her composed voice interrupts my thoughts: "Making me stand here won't make your work faster. You can release me and summon me when necessary." She needs to figure out when to stop; making conversation isn't part of the job description. She's just an ordinary person here and should act accordingly.

I pause in my activities, lifting my head to meet her eyes. "I don't understand your perspective. I am your Master, and you are my servant; you don't get to make demands. You, of all people, should know this." She stands before me, a scowl forming on her face. Her brown eyes emanate warmth and depth, inviting you to discover hidden treasure. This is the longest I've stared at her, and I quickly averted my gaze.

"Sit and stay quiet," I said

She sighed in relief, settling into the chair across me, the table creating a divide. Minutes passed in silence as I focused on completing the temple construction for my mother's memorial.

"Why won't you just let me go? You can summon me when needed," frustration laced her voice. "Sitting here doing nothing is tiring."

"That's not how being a personal maid works. You have to be around me always," I replied, focusing on the task.

After a brief silence, she drew my attention again and asked, "What are you working on?"

Now, releasing a frustrated sigh, I warned, "If you keep talking, you'll regret it. I've shown you enough grace by letting you sit. Being quiet isn't a hard task, so just shut up."

"What are you going to do? Kill me?" Her words caught me off guard; though her face remained stoic, I sensed her effort to hide her true feelings. Unfazed, I found her demonstration of dominance intriguing. I was curious to see how long she could maintain this facade.

"There are worse things I can do to you. I don't necessarily need to kill you," a subtle smirk played on my lips as our eyes met. Yet, I once again found myself captivated by her gaze. Clearing my throat, I looked away, hoping my warning would suffice to quiet her.

She started drumming her fingers on the table, and to keep my anger in check, I clenched my hands into fists. I knew she was trying to provoke a reaction, but I wouldn't play this childish game.

"Letting you sit was a mistake. Perhaps if you were still standing, you'd know your place."

"Just let me go so I don't disturb your work. You don't need me for anything now," she said, upset. Before I could reply, a knock echoed from the door.

"My king, you have a guest. Lady Jamila is here to see you," my guard announced. I am dealing with one trouble already, and now another one is here; it seems today isn't working in my favour.

"You can leave now," I commanded, signalling to my guard to let Lady Jamila in.

She wasted no time bolting out of my room. A smile crept onto my face, swiftly replaced by a scowl when Jamila walked in, plopped down on my bed, and crossed her legs, casting a seductive gaze at me. I left my office and settled onto a comfortable couch beside my bed.

"What are you doing here?"

"Do you think it's that easy to get rid of me? We are engaged; I don't think I need a reason to see you," she responded.