AGBÉ̩KẸ́

Today marks the King's celebration, and Safiya assured me that the genuine excitement would unfold after sunset. In the kitchen, I waited patiently for Safiya to finish arranging the King meal tray. Our bond has deepened, and I discovered she lives outside the palace with her brothers and mother. Despite her kindness, it's clear that the other girls in the kitchen often tease her.

After we chatted about the temple construction, the King finally agreed to my request when he heard my proposed solution. Looking back, I owe Safiya a thank you because she inadvertently sparked the idea. She mentioned how they used to have grand games tournaments, full of excitement, which they no longer held.

Yesterday:
"I've heard you used to host legendary sporting events," I began, my words hanging in the space between us like a tantalizing promise. "Imagine if we could breathe new life into those tales, transform them into a spectacle that not only captivates the hearts of the people but also fills our coffers with gold."

Rashidi's eyes sparkled with a fervor that mirrored my own as he caught hold of the vision I painted before him. "A money-making venture disguised as entertainment," he mused, the corners of his lips curling into a knowing smile,"We could turn it into a grand tournament," he declared, his voice ringing with conviction. "A spectacle unlike any other.  The King's presence alone would draw crowds from far and wide, eager to witness the revival of a tradition long thought lost."

I'm still determining whether he liked the idea, but having time to myself, especially in the library, is excellent. I wish I had requested something more significant than time, but I doubt he would be generous enough to grant it—one step at a time, Agbé̩kẹ́, one step at a time.

"Safiya!" the girl called out, her voice tinged with impatience and authority. "Wash the dishes and prepare the ingredients for tonight's feast; I'm heading out."

"That's the duty the headmistress assigned to you, Akila," Safiya countered, her voice trembling with a mixture of fear and determination.

"What did you say?" Akila demanded, her gaze narrowing as she fixed Safiya with a withering glare.

"I will do it," Safiya responded, fear evident all over her face.

I hesitated to intervene, cautious not to overstep my bounds. With a tentative glance towards Safiya, who toiled diligently over the arrangement of the King's feast, I couldn't suppress the urge to voice my concerns.

"Why did you handle that?" I inquired, my tone gentle yet tinged with a thread of concern. "It's not your responsibility; she should be the one attending to it."

"It's just dishes and ingredients," she remarked, her voice carrying a note of resignation. "I can manage. It's no big deal," she answered casually, with a shrug, but beneath her composed facade, I sensed a tremor of vulnerability.

"Safiya, it's more than that," I gently interjected, careful not to impose my will upon her. "She's taking advantage of your kindness."

Having faced my bullies, I've learned that standing up for yourself is crucial. They thrive on making you feel weak, so it's essential to assert yourself; otherwise, they'll keep undermining your self-esteem. My half-sisters and step-mother were prime examples of this.

"You must stand up for yourself; otherwise, they'll keep doing this," I offered a reassuring smile, hoping she'd take my advice. Carrying the tray, I left the kitchen, heading towards Khalid's room.

Arriving at the King's room, I handed over snacks from the kitchen to Khufu and his companion. I was gradually getting to know more people in the palace.

"Thank you," Khufu and his friend grinned, expressing their appreciation.

"My king, lady Agbé̩kẹ́, is here!" Khufu announced, even though Khalid had warned him several times not to refer to me as a lady.