five

My frame slummed down into the small plastic chair before me and I gracefully placed out my stationary across the small desk, smiling to myself pleasantly.

I enjoyed having a certain knack for presentation, it calmed me to lay out my utensils in a specific way - one I organised mentally. Black biro pens to my upper right, highlighters and other shaded pens to my upper left.

Mr Lawrence shook his head with an unimpressed smile, cleaning his scribble-covered whiteboard, with his back turned to me. He put down the rubber and sighed tiredly, sitting on the edge of his desk and conveying a disapproving look. One I knew was because solely because I'd intruded. "You know Brinley. You do have your own study area, dedicated specifically for your year group, so you can work, there" he huffed, "you also have a house."

I resisted rolling my eyes seeing as he was still my teacher, leaning back in my chair exhaustively. "I like it here, it's quiet and less crowded and I'm more productive at school. Plus I know you enjoy my company" I grin, earning a chuckle from him in return.

Mr Lawrence reached behind him, collecting a few scattered sheets and blue work books from his desk. "I have to mark year eleven's essays for tomorrow, so I don't have time to gossip" he tells me, a strict tone evident in his voice. I took that as a not-so subtle suggestion to leave.

"Oh come on, I won't stay for long" I persuaded, collecting a pen and taking off it's lid.

He shook his head, knowing I was definitely fabricating the truth. "Don't you have any other of your subject teachers to pester?"

I easily shook my head. "No actually, I don't. I'm all caught up with their work" I simply responded. "So" I said excitedly, "are you going to go out with that woman again?"

His head shot up, brows scrunched together, dirty blonde hair blocking his eyes before he readjusted it. "That's not your concern Brinley, you're my student" he rejected and I fought back a laugh. Sometimes it didn't feel like that was the case. Mr Lawrence was only a few years older than me and though I still considered him my teacher, I treated him more as a friend than a superior. I had known him since I was eleven when i'd first started, he'd always been a good teacher and helped me through the difficulties of secondary school. Plus he was great at advice, always helping Carly and I with disagreements or misunderstandings. "How do you even know about that?" he said, surprised once he'd caught on.

"Uh, the other day I overheard you and Miss Greenwell conversing" I admitted, opening up my geography book. "To be honest I thought you and Miss has something going on, but I realised you were only friends once I heard how thrilled she was for you and, Sarah was it?" I smiled.

"You're too observant for your own good" he said firmly, narrowing his eyes at me warningly. "Now drop it, I have that twenty marker I told you about last lesson. I can email it you, if you'd like. Or do you want the sheet now?" he said, walking over to my desk.

I nodded and he handed me the paper, making his way back. "Thank you" I replied in a singsong tone, I grabbed a highlighter eagerly.

Silence filled the room and I started scribbling away, jotting down ideas for my essay plan when the door swung open abruptly. Mr Lawrence's head snapped up too, he quickly stood from his desk greeting the figure. I instantly glued my eyes to the sheet of paper in front of me, pretending I wasn't present in the room.

"Ah Mr Styles, I've got your work here" he announced, shuffling over to his desk. Harry followed, silently nodding. "I do wish you'd attend my lessons though, saves me printing off these powerpoints" he told him, as Harry apprehensively took the pile of papers from his hand.