Chapter Seventeen | The True Killer

Aurora's POV:

We got to 808 Broadway in record time. I certainly admired Stevie's abilities to keep his passengers in one piece even if our journey was in a haphazard manner. None of us moved until we had came to a complete stop thought. It was almost comical how quickly my brother wanted to put his feet on solid ground. But there was no time to make any remarks. Stevie helped me get Jeremy down since he seemed weak and shell shocked. When we got into the elevator I pulled the chain to take us up to headquarters. A few silent moments went by before Henry finally spoke again. "How did you know that families Jeremy's boss was hired to had died?" He asked, his voice shaking a little. He was scared even though he was trying his best to hide it. "Because I... I've been helping Sara Howard try to solve them." I replied.

"Sara Howard? The female detective? But... I thought you were working for Dr. Kreizler? Have you been lying to me this who time?" He asked, looking as if his pride had been hurt. "I am working for Dr. Kreizler." I said. I explained that the doctor is friends with Miss Howard and that he assist her on some cases. I also mentioned that everyone close to him has been helping on this particular string of mass murders. "Also, say hello to Stevie Taggert. He's Dr. Kreizler's ward." I said, introducing them just as the elevator stopped. We got out and I fumbled with the key Sara had given me, but I eventually managed to get the door open. Apparently my nerves were getting to me too. "So... do-" Henry started, but Stevie cut him off. "Yes." He said, obviously knowing what my brother was going to ask. I sat Jeremy down on one of the comfortable chairs before I switched on the lights.

"Stevie, please take the elevator back down and wait on the others." I said. "You got it." He said as he ran back and closed the grate before descending back down to the street. Henry sat grabbed a chair and sat next to Jeremy, keeping a close eye on him. He looked like he was about to faint. I announced that I was going to make some coffee before I walked into the kitchen. When I walked back into the room with a tray of mugs and a teapot full of coffee, I found Henry looking at the chalkboard. I poured three cups of the steaming black liquid and handed one to Jeremy. "Here, this might make you feel better." I said as he took the cup from and sipped it. I took one for myself before handing Henry the other. "I am sorry I had to hide all of this from you, but it was the only way. I couldn't risk you telling anyone... least of all you college friends." I said, and what looked like understanding filled his eyes.

"It's okay, Aurora. You don't have to apologize. I know my drinking habits and the company I tend to hang around has given you reason not to trust me with delicate subjects." He said. "But I promise that those days are over. I'm going to quit drinking and I'm going to find better friends like you keep telling me I should do. It seems... as if... even a man of psychology can make silly mistakes despite the plethora of knowledge that has been given to him." I smiled at that. Mostly because the last part sounded like something Dr. Kreizler would have said. We walked back over to where Jeremy was sitting and I told my brother how I got involved in all of this. As I did so he seemed proud of me. I guess you could say I was glad that Henry wasn't infuriated with me for getting in the middle of something so dangerous. But I guess that's just the way he and I had always been. Always fighting against societal norms, so much so that we put ourselves in interesting situations.

I drank two cups of coffee before the sound of the elevator caught my attention. 'I hope they're all hear. Even if it might be a tight squeeze.' I thought as I stood up, and Henry followed my motion. When the grate opened Laszlo lead the pack which was something of a common thing. We all sort of looked to him for guidance in our own ways, and I think even Sara could admit to that even if she would have hated to do so. "What's happened? How did you find a break in the case?" Laszlo asked me curiously and I simply pointed to Jeremy. "He says his boss has been the chef who was hired to the deceased families before they died." I said. Him and the detective sergeants closed in on him, causing his green eyes to go wide. "Be gentle with him." I said softly, and the doctor nodded. I lead Henry away from his idol to introduce him to the others while Dr. Kreizler and the Isaacson brothers questioned Jeremy. I didn't bother Sara since she was the one taking notes. So I walked over to Cyrus who was standing next to the window near Stevie.