Prologue

Emily's POV

"Mom, dad... I'm gay." I told my parents as both of them just sat frozen, in disbelief.

"I knew it." My mom said and stood up. She covered her mouth with her left hand, choking on tears. My mother was now crying and sobbing.

"You're what?" My dad asked, "You have to be joking."

"No, I'm not. And I have a girlfriend." They just looked at me.

"Is it that... Vanessa girl?" Mom asked.

I had a feeling she figured it out a few months ago and I asked myself why hadn't she said anything about it. Vanessa came over to do our group project and she and mom got to talking. Mom acted differently while talking to her from when she talked to my other friends.

"Yes, it's Vanessa. I love her."

"You don't even know what love is! You're only eighteen!" My dad exclaimed loudly.

"Age has nothing to do with it, I love Vanessa!"

"No!" Dad said, "You'll end this with her or..."

"Or what?" I asked, getting up.

"Or move out." As he said those words I ran upstairs to my room.

As soon as I closed the door, I let the tears fall down. I heard my phone buzzing repeatedly and it was Vanessa. 12 missed calls.

"Em, how did it go?" One of her many messages said and as I was going through them I saw that it didn't go well with her parents either.

We decided that we would both come out to our parents once we were eighteen. And since it was Vanessa's birthday yesterday, today was the day. Thinking back now, I don't know why we thought that being eighteen or any of that would help the situation. We still depend on our parents and we weren't even sure if they would be okay with our relationship.

My phone rang and the caller ID showed my girlfriend's name. I immediately answered and I could hear her sobs on the other side.

"Hey, Ness. Are you okay?"

She was silent for a couple of seconds. "They... Didn't take it so well."

"Don't cry baby, please. It'll be okay. We'll get through it." I tried to reassure her as best as I could.

"You really think so?" She asked, her voice sounding anything but hopeful.

"Yeah, I think so. My dad even told me to move out if I stay with you. But I don't care, I wanna be with you. Once they sleep on it, they'll change their mind."

"I really hope you're right. I don't want them to kick you out or anything."

Vanessa's POV

I stood outside, in the pouring rain in the middle of the night while talking with the love of my life on the phone. I knew all that was at stake for her and what would happen if she refused to break up with me. I didn't want her to be kicked out of her own house and not go to college all because of me. As for me, even though I know I won't be with her, I knew that I couldn't stay in a house where I won't be accepted for who I am.

"I love you, Em," I told her, probably for the last time.

"I love you too, Vanessa. I'll call you tomorrow."

My heart broke in pieces because I knew I won't answer and I knew I had to do this for her to have a future.

"Bye Emily..." She hung up "I'll miss you."

I threw my phone on the ground and crushed it with my leg. I checked my wallet, seeing that I had the money I got for my birthday yesterday. It should be enough for a couple of nights in a motel and some food, I thought. Until I manage to find some kind of a job and a place to stay.

Emily's POV

I couldn't sleep through the whole night, thinking about my situation right now. I got up, took a shower and it was already 9 AM. I decided to give Vanessa a call and see if she can meet me somewhere. It went straight to voicemail a couple of times. That's strange.

I went downstairs, and my parents were sitting there in complete silence, drinking coffee.

"Good morning," I said, sitting at the table and grabbing some cereal and putting milk in.

My parents looked at each other and then back at me.

"What?" I asked, curious about what's going on.

"We need to talk." My mom started.

"Look, Emily... We understand that you don't know what you're feeling right now. And just because you think you love this girl, doesn't mean that you'll be with her forever. You need to think about your future. Getting married and having children, on top of going to college and getting a job." My dad told me, looking deeply into my eyes while doing so.

"But, I can do all of that with Vanessa. Most importantly, I want to do it all with her."

"Emily... Either you end it with the girl, or we won't pay for your college."

"Are you serious?!" I exclaimed loudly and got up. How could they even blackmail me like that? They're my parents for fucks sake.

"Calm down, sweetie." My mom grabbed my hand and I pulled it away.

"And you agree with this?" I asked my mom and she just looked at me. I ran outside, getting into my car, and then I drove off.

I parked outside Vanessa's house, hoping to see her face and just hug her right now. I knocked on the door. Her mom opened the door. She looked pretty shook up, even more after seeing me.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, rather harshly.

"I need to see Vanessa." I told her and tears started strolling down her worn-out face.

"That won't happen."

"I don't understand. Why?"

"She... Miguel made her leave the house yesterday. He said he won't have a homosexual in his house."

"You're saying, you kicked her out?" She looked down and shook her head. "How could you let that happen? She's your daughter, no matter what!"

I rushed towards my car, grabbed my phone, and tried calling her again. Again and again... No answer. She could be anywhere.

After hours of looking around town at all our spots, hoping to find Vanessa, I got home, opened the door, and as I looked to my right, I saw my parents standing up when they saw me. This whole day has been hectic and all I wanted to do was lay in my bed and cry myself to sleep. I gave up on finding Vanessa because she obviously doesn't want to be found.

With my head down, realizing that now when I lost her, there is nothing left to lose, I told them:

"You win. We broke up."