Aphrodite

10 years later

Emily's POV

Every time I'm in an OR I have the best and the worst feeling in my gut. I know that a person that is on my table depends on every decision I make. These moments don't happen outside my professional life.

Like right now, everything was going smoothly but now I had to think fast and act fast because the woman on the table is dying.

Monitors beeping fast, nurse handing me the tools I need, my fellow surgeon across from me is working fast just like me to keep this person alive.

1, 2, 3... And we did it. I looked at Dr. Fields aka Sadie and smiled.

"We did it." She nods at me and after we close up, I put everything down. "Good job, everyone," I tell all of the people in the operating room before I exit.

We went out and on the way to doing our charts, Sadie starts bugging me again.

"But you haven't even been there." She says, referring to the club she goes to almost every night.

"And I want it to stay that way."

She has been bothering me about this club for about a year now, every now and then she mentions it and says I have to come. Aphrodite isn't your typical nightclub with dancing and drinks. It has multiple types of entertainment. When you enter, there's a normal huge bar with a couple of bartenders working there at all times, a big dance floor, and some lounges for I would say, more VIP people. Which I'm pretty sure Sadie is by now. There are also stairs that lead to the striptease area. Lots and lots of girls dancing naked, and maybe even more than dancing considering there are private rooms with beds. Then there's the basement, which is a gambling pit. Poker, blackjack, and I don't know any other games apparently. And on top of all of this, it's a bar strictly for homosexual women. The only men there are the bouncers and a couple of bartenders who are gay.

None of this is a problem for me, except the fact that the main local gang owns it. The Dames. Even after almost a decade of ruling this town, the police do not know who is the leader aka The Duchess. The only things they know are the gang is strictly females. If you ask me, I think that they are in some kind of agreement with the police and they don't mess with each other.

A couple of times big robberies involved members of this gang, but they were either set free or got a couple of years in prison, none of them telling anything about the organization of the group or the leader.

Getting involved with this gang meant you were in really big trouble or protected from everyone in the city. Some would say they were set for good and having them rule the town isn't a bad thing after all.

"You know you want to see all the girls there, admit it." Sadie teased.

That part was tempting, I can't say. I've been single for a very long time.

"Nothing could make me go there, not in a million years, Sadie." She just surrendered and raised her hands in the air.

Both of us were writing on some charts when the annoying creature appeared.

"Hey there, Dr. Campbell," Robin said as he approached me.

Robin is also a doctor in this hospital and he has been bothering me and been desperately in love with me ever since he came to work here. He didn't know I was gay, and I never really wanted him to know, so I just managed to smoothly avoid him every time.

"Hey, Dr. Ray," I said to him, still writing in my chart.

"You want to go out with me tonight?"