Chapter Six

The day of their departure had finally arrived. No one was more grateful for it than Lizzie, who was practically giddy with excitement. She would have been more than happy to walk straight home, but their father was bringing over the truck so that they could load up their things, including Jane's bicycle, the wretched thing that started this entire debacle.

"Please, tell your mother 'hello' for us," Charlie said as they watched the truck pull up the driveway. He waved at Mr. Bennet as the older man got out to help his daughters with their things. "And you're welcome to come fishing with us any time you like," he added.

Mr. Bennet just smiled, knowing he would be unlikely to take up the offer. "Thank you, Charlie," Jane said sweetly. "Y'all have been incredibly kind, I don't know how to thank you enough."

Smiling, Charlie helped Jane up into the truck. "It was my pleasure," he said before stepping back and closing the door. He watched as they drove back down the driveway, sorry for the loss of their company.

Inside the house, Darcy watched from the front window with relief. It was good that they were gone; out of sight, out of mind, he hoped.

"Isn't it nice to be alone again, at last?" Caroline's question from her spot on the couch pulled Darcy's attention. "I was getting tired of constantly having guests. Though, I'm afraid you'll miss a certain someone's scathing opinions and fine eyes, Darcy."

Darcy couldn't help but smirk at her words. She didn't take into account the fact that he was technically a guest in the house, as well, not being a part of the family. But that didn't really matter to him. As for the suggestion that he was going to miss the presence of Lizzie Bennet, well, "Quite the opposite, I can assure you," he said tersely.

As soon as they pulled onto the road, Lizzie let out a sigh. "Lord, Jane," she said. "I hate to say it, but I've never been so happy to leave anywhere in all my life. Apart from your sweet Charlie, that is."

Jane just smiled at her sister's dramatics, already feeling the emptiness at leaving Netherfield behind. As soon as they arrived back at their home, Lizzie burst out of the truck and took off into the pasture. Her father chuckled as he watched her leave. It seemed like she was in no danger from the likes of Darcy.

It was that evening, while the Bennet family sat eating dinner together, that Mr. Bennet made his announcement. "I hope you haven't made other plans for tomorrow, my dear," he said to his wife, with all their daughters listening attentively. "I expect we will have someone over for dinner tomorrow evening if I'm not mistaken."

Mrs. Bennet's eyes lit up in surprise. She looked over at her eldest daughter. "Jane, you sly dog, why didn't you say anything?"

Eyes wide with confusion, Jane looked across the table at Lizzie, who shrugged. "And not a bit of steak in the house," Mrs. Bennet continued, looking flustered. "Oh, Lydia, bring me the phone. I'll have to call the butcher directly and see what can be done."

Jumping up, Lydia started to make her way into the kitchen to grab the phone for her mother. "It's not Bingley," her father's solemn words stopped her in her tracks. "It's a person I've never actually met before," he continued.

"Oh, is it Forester?" Lydia gasped.

Kitty cut in, "Or Carter?"

"No, no, it must be Denny!" Lydia clapped her hands, giggling as she sat back down.

Their father just rolled his eyes at their antics. "A few weeks ago, I received a call at work while I was at lunch. My secretary took the message, and a few days ago I decided to return the call since it seemed important."