Chapter 1: Senior year!

Brighton's POV:

A journal, one that one of my dads used to buy me every year until I eventually started purchasing my own. This journal was different though. It was my senior year and I was about to move on. So it's important that I document everything that is happening throughout my life. So here we go! I open my plain black journal, it has ordinary white pages, and a basic black bookmark attached. It's nothing special, kinda like me. I mean I guess I have rather unusual quirks that I possess. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in my town that has gay dads. I am apart of way too many clubs for my own good. I also am the only one in my friend group that likes McDonald's. I digress, I still reserve that I am nothing exceptional. I open my journal, grab my pen, and start writing.

Hello, Ummm I don't really know how to do this intros but here we go. You'd think by now I would've been more than capable of fostering some sort of makeshift introduction to each of these journals, but alas, I cannot. I mean I've documented my life in many journals throughout the years and I never know how to start. But I guess I'll start with this, my friends. We are all seniors this year and we still live on the same street we've always lived on since we were 5. Well, AJ moved here when he was 7, Wynter when she was 8, and Jenkins when he was 10. Storm, Lyric, and I all moved there when we were 5. It was a brand new street with new housing developments along a freshly coated black road. Sycamore street was its name and we shared many memories on and beside it. Like the time Lyric convinced us to make a lemonade stand to raise money for endangered animals. Storm ended up spraining his ankle trying to do a cartwheel with his poster, but it was still a success. Or the time when all of us had a campout in Jenkins' backyard and Wynter told us a scary story that freaked AJ out so badly, he cried and we ended up sleeping in Jenkins' living room instead. Or the time we created a secret kid-friendly bar and charged the other kids at our school a dollar to go in. Even though none of us have a ton in common, we all are really close. Jenkins Acosta is the biggest party animal and is always throwing amazing parties. He's so wild, carefree, and doesn't care about what anyone else thinks. Lyric Ashley is the classic head cheerleader, but she isn't like a mean cheerleader. She is kind, bubbly, and is always looking for ways to be helpful. Storm Vanderweele is the head jock at our school. He's your typical all-American dude. He's literally a part of every sport possible at our school. Charming and very charismatic, every girl wants to date him and every boy is jealous of him. That's Storm for you. AJ Thomas, my best friend in the group. He's super artsy, creative, and part of nearly every art club at school. Theatre, poetry, painting, and so many other things. He's super quirky, silly, and the person I ended up getting closest to in the group. Finally, there's Wynter Foster. She's alternative and doesn't fit into any sort of box. That's what I love about her, she's different, hard to explain, and very mysterious. She's a genius, a part of the debate team and the science club, she's incredible and something really special. Now there's me, I don't really know how to describe myself. I don't see myself as extraordinary or anything special, I'm just me. Brighton Deveraux. Today is page one and day one of my first day of Senior year. Or as my dad would put it, the first year of the rest of my life. I'm nervous yes, but I'm excited to consume what this year throws at me.

While I was in the middle of writing in my daily journal my phone rings. It's AJ. I'm sure that he's freaking out about the first day of school. I mean who wouldn't be. It's the last first day of school for us. Well, all together as a group until we go off to college, which isn't something I don't want to think about. I've grown up with this group of people for years and moving on just isn't something I'm ready for. If I get into college next year, it'll be a whole new environment with all new people. I picked up my phone to see that I also missed about 100 texts from AJ. I quickly gazed through the texts as I answered AJ's call.